New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBA has turned yellow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GraciousFord

GraciousFord is on a distinguished road

I have a 2.8 year Mac Book Air that I have absolutely loved and used about 8 hours a day. A few weeks ago I started to have hinge issues. I did what I could to minimize movement after I learned that Apple store wanted $800 to fix it. Now I just came home and turned on my MBA and everything is yellow. It is like an old time TV set giving static late at night when the shows were over...only this is my computer. Can you tell me
1. why this has happened -- is it relted to the hinge problem?
2. what to do.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (85.4 KB, 20 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

It could be related to the hinge problem, it has actually been quite a wide-spread problem for many users, problem is that the cables for the screen are right next to the hinge, so it may have damaged the wires or may have made them loose. If your feeling brave open and have a look.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Heloise

Heloise is on a distinguished road

Do you have applecare? If you do I would advise taking it to apple. I took my MBA (of the same age) to apple for a hard drive problem and they are replacing the entire computer and giving me one of the new generation of MBA.
QUOTE Thanks
GraciousFord

Applecare? No. This machine was bought in Germany almost three years ago and brought to me here in Istanbul.

This morning I left it open, asleep, with some perfectly placed duct tape and when I came home our cleaning woman had shut it and moved it (!), so it could be that?

If I were to open it up and look around, what would I be looking for? I am not squeamish when it comes to messing around with computers. I've been using Macs since 1986.
QUOTE Thanks
GraciousFord

Does anyone know where the cables are located, to the left or to the right? The right side hinge is completely loose, the left side one could become lose quickly with a little persuasion. How long are the cables??
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Installing MacBook Air Models A1237 and A1304 Display Assembly - iFixit

Try this guide.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
GraciousFord

That's a really nice site but it does not address th is issue of cracked hinges that then affect which I assume are wires. Now my screen has gone from Tweety yellow to flamingo pink.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousFord View Post
If I were to open it up and look around, what would I be looking for? I am not squeamish when it comes to messing around with computers. I've been using Macs since 1986.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousFord View Post
That's a really nice site but it does not address th is issue of cracked hinges that then affect which I assume are wires. Now my screen has gone from Tweety yellow to flamingo pink.
I was trying to address this question for you.

As far as the hinges are concerned, some laptops have hinge issues. Try to find a new outside case, and put it on yourself. Or just tape it.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why does my wireless internet suck with my macbook pro? | Which Specs are better »