Hollywood, CA
    15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
    Returning to a "warm" macbook pro that was "idle"
    well, I just left my macbook pro open (running mail, ichat and firefox) while enjoying dinner with the family, came back to check something (woke it up) and noticed that it's quite warm above the keyboard.

Is this normal?

I took a snap of the activity monitor and is that much of the CPU supposed to be used when running nothing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Doesn't look like much of the CPU is used at all. But since Activity Monitor isn't sorted by CPU utilization in your screenshot, it's kind of hard to same.

As far as heat goes, since the casing is aluminum, it acts as a heatsink and anytime any of the heat generating components has electrons running through it, it can get warm. In short, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
    Your System processes were taking up 31% of your CPU (mine hovers around 4%), so click the drop-down menu where it says 'My Processes' - then select 'System Processes' - then double click the CPU column header, and you'll see which process is doing the work. Google that process and you should be closer to an answer.

Thread Information