New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Any advice on buying used Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluesinlondon

bluesinlondon is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I've been offered a used Macbook Pro... Any tips on how I can check out if it's a dud or not?

Also, seller claims to have all sorts of interesting software installed (Adobe CS5, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro...) which appears to make this an attractive purchase. What are the legal situation/other issues regarding pre-installed software?

Thanks in advance for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Make sure that all of the CD's and license keys are provided for the software. If you can get a chance, ask to take a look at the Mac, run disk utility to check for any problems.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Run disk utility, and Apple Hardware Test if possible. Check all the ports to see if they work and the CD drive as well. Check for dead pixels, and make sure the serial is valid, etc.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Here's my opinion:
Never get suckered into a deal because of what programs it comes with! For me, I would never buy a macbook pro that had the slightest scratch/dent because if a user is cares enough, there won't be one. So, look out for those.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about External Hard Drive | Battery estimates totally wrong »