New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery estimates totally wrong

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The_Pro

The_Pro is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985

Sup Guys,

1 week ago I got a Logic board replacement on my 15" i7 Macbook pro because my graphics cards had problems. Weird thing is that now the estimated total Battery runtime thing is totally wrong. When my battery is fully charged and absolutely nothing is being done by the computer, is estimated about 4:30. Before I had the logic board replacement it estimated 8-11 hours. Not saying it was bad that my logic board was replaced, it was awesome, everything is smoother now. Even my skype dosnt seem to be as power hogging anymore, which is nice
My question is to why this battery estimate is so wrong?? it runs for 7-9 hours no problem, like constantly displaying 4-5 hours until I get below 50%. But it bugs me that its telling me the wrong thing. Anyone know why and how I can change this?? I tried a PRAM reset, didnt do anything, I tried a SMA reset, but I couldnt get it to do it

Any other suggestions??

cheers guys
QUOTE Thanks
Wheeljack

Wheeljack will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pro View Post
Sup Guys,

1 week ago I got a Logic board replacement on my 15" i7 Macbook pro because my graphics cards had problems. Weird thing is that now the estimated total Battery runtime thing is totally wrong. When my battery is fully charged and absolutely nothing is being done by the computer, is estimated about 4:30. Before I had the logic board replacement it estimated 8-11 hours. Not saying it was bad that my logic board was replaced, it was awesome, everything is smoother now. Even my skype dosnt seem to be as power hogging anymore, which is nice
My question is to why this battery estimate is so wrong?? it runs for 7-9 hours no problem, like constantly displaying 4-5 hours until I get below 50%. But it bugs me that its telling me the wrong thing. Anyone know why and how I can change this?? I tried a PRAM reset, didnt do anything, I tried a SMA reset, but I couldnt get it to do it

Any other suggestions??

cheers guys
You tried te SMC and didn't work? I would try it again. With the Mac turned off, hold left Shift+Control+Option+Power button, release. Now power back up.

Afterwards, recalibrate the battery:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.

4. At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.

5.Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again

 Wheeljack
QUOTE Thanks
The_Pro

The_Pro is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985

thanks,
when i try to do a SMC reset, it powers up the computer. i am pressing al the right keys
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Batteries are not an exact science. There is no "float in the tank" as you would have in a car. Instead, the SMC makes guesses as to the battery's capacity based on usage trends. When you had you logic board replaced, it basically reset everything the logic board had learned about the battery.

The best thing to do would be to recalibrate the battery. This is done by starting with a full charge, using the machine exclusively on battery power until it goes dead. When it does, close the lid and allow it to charge until the indicator on the Magsafe connector glows green. Then your estimates should start looking more normal. Until this is done, ignore the run time indicator as it will be completely inaccurate.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any advice on buying used Macbook Pro | MacBook pro 15 which one »