New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook white battery suddenly dies

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

autumnleaves

autumnleaves is on a distinguished road

Hi there

So I've had my macbook white for about a year and a half, and it was working fine until one day I noticed that the charge was going down even though it was plugged in. Then, it turned off, and I couldn't turn it back on. The problem is, that when it's turned off, the magsafe comes up orange, but as soon as I turn the computer on, the light switches over to green. It's really weird.. So I turned the computer off, left it plugged in all night, then woke to find the magsage light still orange, and when I turned it on, it only had 10% power!

I managed to check coconutbattery while it was on, and it's still showing that the battery has excellent maximum charge level, but for some reason it's just not charging.

I've tried resetting SMC, and the PRAM, to no avail. Software update is completely up to date too, and I have a feeling that this might have something to do with it, as I updated it very recently (a few days before the problems).

I don't really know what else to try, and it's out of warranty.

Please help
QUOTE Thanks
Heloise

Heloise is on a distinguished road

You might want to try a different magsafe charger. You could also take it into apple if you have applecare.
QUOTE Thanks
autumnleaves

autumnleaves is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloise View Post
You might want to try a different magsafe charger. You could also take it into apple if you have applecare.
Hi, unfortunately I don't have applecare, I didn't have the cash for extra insurance, so had to make do with the 1 year warranty, which has now expired. I didn't think that it could be my charger.. What can go wrong with it?
QUOTE Thanks
Heloise

Heloise is on a distinguished road

I'm not clear on what exactly can go wrong with a charger but if you can borrow one from a friend or use one of the ones in the store and it turns out that is the problem it is a pretty cheap fix.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ugghh is this possible? | Cat sat on keyboard help »