New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook G4 933mhz recommendations on upgrades

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deefadog

deefadog is on a distinguished road

Hi all, hope you can help, i think the hard drive has gone on my iBook G4 933mhz.

Can you help me on what type of hard drive i need for a replacement also i want to upgrade the memory from 512 to 1gb (the most it can take i think) again where is the best place to get the memory, there some on ebay, but it's not the best place.

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Bump
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

I have managed to get the hard drive out what a faf And it's dodgy, i manager to get it going by banging it and got the disc image - New samsung 160gb on it's way.

Now the memory it's the 933mhz and i have read 2 conflicting stories, one that says 640mb is the max it can take and other says you can fit a 1gb stick in. Does anyone know which is correct?

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deefadog View Post
I have managed to get the hard drive out what a faf And it's dodgy, i manager to get it going by banging it and got the disc image - New samsung 160gb on it's way.

Now the memory it's the 933mhz and i have read 2 conflicting stories, one that says 640mb is the max it can take and other says you can fit a 1gb stick in. Does anyone know which is correct?

Many thanks
Yes your iBook G4 933mhz can be upgraded to 1152 gigabyte (128meg logic board ram + a 1 gig (1024gig) stick of ram).

Good places for ram:

OWC
Crucial.com

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
wxcarne89

wxcarne89 is on a distinguished road

i recently purchased one of these machines off craigslist.i am running a 1gb ram card,Its performance noticeably increased from the 258mb card included w/ the machine.I believe i purchased it from crucial.com,it cost 49.99.Its kinda pricey comparatively because it is outdated...
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Thanks Guys! There are a few sticks on ebay for around 35!

I believe any '1GB PC2100 CL2.5 200Pin SODIMM DDR 266' will do?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Guys! There are a few sticks on ebay for around 35!

I believe any '1GB PC2100 CL2.5 200Pin SODIMM DDR 266' will do?
Mac sure that the ram is compatible with a Macintosh computer...not all ram is created equal! I already gave you two great links for ram.

And don't say because you're in the UK that you can't use them...cause folks from all over the world order from them.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Cheers, yes i know not ram is not equal OWC seems the cheapest! Not in a rush as i need the hard drive to turn up and get that whole thing back together LOL.

Are there any guides on putting the disc image i have on to the internal hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Are there any guides on putting the disc image i have on to the internal hard drive?
What do you mean by a "disk image"...are you sure you're using this terminology correctly? Because the term "disk image" can mean a number of different things.

What sort of items are you trying to copy from the iBooks hard drive? If you're talking about programs/applications...you probably cannot copy them to a different hard drive...you would have to install them from their original source (DVD, CD, internet download). If you're talking about items such as:

- word processing or spreadsheets
- photos
- possibly music files
- videos
- etc.

...these items you should be able to copy without too much trouble.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Hi, on the old hard drive i removed i made an image of the whole drive via disc utility. on my macbook pro. I thought i could install the Os on the new hard drive in the ibook once installed and install the disc image on to the new drive? Am i not correct? I have seen this done with a time machine backup and all the programs transferred across no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hi, on the old hard drive i removed i made an image of the whole drive via disc utility. on my macbook pro. I thought i could install the Os on the new hard drive in the ibook once installed and install the disc image on to the new drive? Am i not correct? I have seen this done with a time machine backup and all the programs transferred across no problem.
I don't think that a disk image made with "Disk Utility" is the same thing as a "Time Machine" backup. If it was the same...then there really wouldn't be any need for Time Machine.

I'm sort of confused where this "iBook hard drive image" is located. If it's located on your Macbook Pro...then why are we even concerned with the iBook hard drive in the first place?

In any case...you could install a new hard drive in your iBook, install the OS, and copy the disk image you made onto the iBooks new hard drive...but there is no guarantee that all of the applications will work (they may need to be reinstalled from the original disks due to copy protection or serial number issues).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Thanks, i know it's confusing

The macbook pro is my work computer (Graphic Designer), so it's with me more or less where ever i go. The iBook is the home laptop! (soon to be given to my daughter) I only have office on it and have the discs for it, so biggie if the disc image does not work, then no hardship, just thought it would be less painless

We have another older macbookpro (I know Mac mad family), but it has the dreaded logic board failure! Got an appointment next week with the apple store and it should be covered under the recall from nvidia!

Anyways, at least i have the files safe from the old ibook drive! Hard drive should arrive tomorrow, the sooner the better, as the dismantle is fresh in my mind
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks, i know it's confusing

The macbook pro is my work computer (Graphic Designer), so it's with me more or less where ever i go. The iBook is the home laptop! (soon to be given to my daughter) I only have office on it and have the discs for it, so biggie if the disc image does not work, then no hardship, just thought it would be less painless
Sounds great that the only important application on the iBook HD is "MS Office". With the original disks...that's easy to reinstall!

Quote:
Anyways, at least i have the files safe from the old ibook drive! Hard drive should arrive tomorrow, the sooner the better, as the dismantle is fresh in my mind
Having those files safe is the most important thing...you never know when that old iBook HD will completely fail...and then you're lost if you have some important irreplaceable files on it!

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
deefadog

Hi guyz, just wanted to double check something.

The new hard drive has arrived, but before i put the ibook back together (Which is a long process), should i do anything to the hard drive first, such as format it using a ide yo usb lead connected to my other mac?

Or will the tiger install discs load from the DVD drive and format and install to the new hard drive?

I have never done this on a mac before, I know Windows will work direct form the install CD.

Thanks in advance

Deef
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The new hard drive has arrived, but before i put the ibook back together (Which is a long process), should i do anything to the hard drive first, such as format it using a ide yo usb lead connected to my other mac?

Or will the tiger install discs load from the DVD drive and format and install to the new hard drive?
Yes...taking apart & reassembling one of those iBooks is a BIG project. You could format that new hard drive either way as you described...either:

- install the new drive in an external case, and format it while plugged into a 2nd Macintosh.
- install the new hard drive into the iBook...put the iBook back together...then boot from your Tiger OS install DVD and do it that way.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hardware Issues - Speakers and Mouse | Displays with MBP »