New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How to put my entire HD on an external HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrod81

jrod81 is on a distinguished road

hey guys
i am wanting to essentially "mirror" my HD on an external WD passport drive i have. my internal is 100GB and my WD passport is 120 so i know i am fine on space but how do i go about making sure they are identical? i want to make sure i keep all the apps, pics, music, etc... and with that i have one other question... can i then just drag those apps back onto another computer? I know its possible with smaller apps but what about final cut and CS3?
thanks
jared
QUOTE Thanks
nzboy

nzboy is on a distinguished road

you can use an app like carboncopycloner which is a great app for making primary hdd clones so you have an exact copy of your primary hdd.

Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz 4GB 500GB Scorpio
iPhone 4 32GB
Intel i7 - 4870x2 2GB - 6GB OCZ DDR3
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

does "superduper" clone applications too???
is the free version going to be all i need?
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

carboncopycloner will do my apps too?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Yes, either will work.

Just read the guide in my sig.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

great thanks so much... and i have one more question after reading your great instructions...
when i hook this WD passport up to a new mac will i be able to drag those apps (like final cut and cs3) to the new one (as long as i have copied down my serial codes somewhere)?
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod81 View Post
when i hook this WD passport up to a new mac will i be able to drag those apps (like final cut and cs3) to the new one (as long as i have copied down my serial codes somewhere)?
I don't know about Final Cut but CS3 needs to be installed so no you can't just drag the app over to your new Mac. Apps that don't use an installer you can drag over.

If you just bought a new Mac to replace your old one then you should use Migration Assistant instead. It will copy over basically everything from your old Mac to the new one. If you don't want that then you can also use Target Disk Mode with a firewire connection and only copy over specific files.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod81 View Post
great thanks so much... and i have one more question after reading your great instructions...
You won't need the serials, as long as you're the original owner.

SuperDuper will copy everything (apps, preferences, appearances, settings) etc.

So just plug in your external hard drive, format it if needed, then run SuperDuper to back up to it. SuperDuper creates a full copy of your hard drive.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

The "clone" created with either Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner should be fine as far as the serial numbers go. I do recommend that when the clone is complete you attempt to boot from the clone. I clone regularly and 99% of the time everything is fine but I did have one instance where I could boot from the clone but could not log in.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro + Spyder 3 Calibration | Attempted installing windows now hard drive is "broken" »