New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Graphics Chip instead of extra HD w/ optibay

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZeziChan

ZeziChan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz i5 MBP 15", 300MHz G3 iBook Tangerine, G3 400MHz iMac BondieB, G4 iMac 17", Quad G5 PowerMac.

I have obviously heard about the recent adoration for the Optibay and likewise products. However, not needing a extra HDD (I have 750GB) and not having the money/need for a reasonably sized SSD. I was considering the options the Optibay style products would give.

I was wondering if it was possible to use the extra space for a new graphics chip? I barely use the i5 in my MBP, yet the 330m 256mb graphics card is constantly running at full capacity, however I know it is impossible to upgrade the soldered chip. So, using the SATA port, could you wire up a graphics card?

If not, is there any other types of new hardware I could fill the space with?
I have used the optical drive once since using the laptop, (to repair boot drive) and would be very pleased to be rid of it for extra features. I have no need for it inside the case, would it also reduce the weight any significant amount?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question/idea, but I was curious and lacked the technical knowledge to know.

2.4GHz i5 MacBook Pro 15"Quad PowerMacG4 iMac 17"G3 iMac 400Mhz Bondie BlueiPod Mini 4GB iPod Touch 8GB 2G iPod Nano 2Gb 2G7 Mac performas Macintosh II
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As far as I'm aware, the only option available for the Optibay is a hard drive either standard SATA or SSD. I have not seen other options available such as an additional graphics card. Remember, the removal of the optical drive exposes an additional connection for SATA. Graphic cards for the Mac Pro for example, use PCIE.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Just playing devil's advocate here, but let's say for a moment that you remove the optical drive from your computer to install something else. What happens if your HD has a failure/corruption and you need to boot from the OS disc to restore your system?

Not trying to argue with your idea, I just think an optical drive is nice to have, even if you don't use it much for the day-to-day stuff.

As far as installing a SATA graphics card goes, I have never heard about that being done on a MBP before. I don't know if it's possible, but it would definitely take some technical know-how.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeziChan View Post
I was wondering if it was possible to use the extra space for a new graphics chip? I barely use the i5 in my MBP, yet the 330m 256mb graphics card is constantly running at full capacity, however I know it is impossible to upgrade the soldered chip.
You need to further explain your reasons for wanting this. The 15" i5 MBP already has two graphics cards built into it. They are the Intel graphics chip and Nvidia 330M. Apple really should have kept the option of switching back and forth manually in addition to the automatic mode in the new MBPs. I'm able to manually switch back and forth because I have the previous generation MBP.

In order to do this on the newer MBPs some people have been using an application called gfxCardStatus. I have not used it myself so I can't say how well it works but if all you want is to use a less power hungry graphics card then you should try that application and switch to the Intel graphics.

If you are just eager to get rid of the optical drive for something else then that is a different matter. I still find the optical drive useful so I personally would not want to get rid of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Wheeljack

Wheeljack will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)

You're being too complicated. Even if it was possible to add a third graphics adapter, there's no need. Just use gfxCardStatus (gfxCardStatus: menu bar gpu status monitor for os x / cody krieger - mobile, desktop & web developer) and switch manually to whichever one you need.

 Wheeljack
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I use my old pc hard drive with MB Pro..? And read the contents? | Macbook image output is choppy when watching Hulu with video out »