New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Slightly swollen/bulged battery.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wheeljack

Wheeljack will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)

I've recently discovered that my MacBook Pro's battery has a slight bulge and it's getting swollen. Reading on the issue, I noticed several users have had the same problem and had their batteries replaced -no questions asked- due to a potential fire hazard. I'm not having problems with the MBP yet, but the back cover doesn't sit flush anymore due to the bulged battery.

Since I don't reside in the US, I would like to know if I can get some sort of official response on this problem, in order to support my claim when I take the battery to an Official Apple representative here in Buenos Aires.

The MacBook Pro is a unibody model from 2008. It currently holds it's charge up to 100%, and system Profiler reports 197 charge cycles with a 'normal' condition. iStat Pro reports a health of 92%, which I think it's appropriate since I've been using it for over 2 years.

On a side note, this is the first issue I've encountered with my beloved MBP since I purchased it 2008. I'm just worried about my health, and the fact that the battery itself has the words "... replace if swollen" written on top of it.

Pics:

 Wheeljack
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

That sucks to hear about this. But i have heard members that have rang Apple told them there problem and bc they live to far away to get into a store they have done everything buy mail ... So your biggest cost will be the postage

Best bet is ring them and see what your options are

Good luck

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're looking for an "official" response here...

This forum is not affiliated with Apple in any way. Nothing said here can be construed as an "official" response from Apple.

If you're talking about a battery that is now over 2 years old, Apple may or may not replace the battery from what I've seen, sometimes depending on whether you have Applecare. Batteries are expendable items and if you don't have the extended Applecare, then your warranty is over. That doesn't mean they won't replace it.

You just need to take it in to Apple there and see what they say. Have seen Apple replace a lot of things out of warranty. I'm also sure that this is not always the case.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Wheeljack

Wheeljack will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)

Thanks guys. I'll call a few local Apple authorized resellers and see where I land. If I don't get a straight answer I guess I'll have to try my luck calling Apple directly.
I'm over a year beyond my warranty.

As for the official response, I was just asking if someone here knew about some official document or press release that I could use to support my claim, that's all.

 Wheeljack
QUOTE Thanks
Heloise

Heloise is on a distinguished road

I experienced this problem with my macbook air. It was under apple care so I took it to the apple store and they replaced the batter for free. They said that I could have mailed it in so I would suggest that you call apple. This is a manufacturing defect in the battery.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« webcam & remote control | AutoSpell Checking »