New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

best macbook unibody case?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deraj090

deraj090 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I use my Macbook for work, so I'm constantly traveling with it. Which is better to protect it -- a neoprene case, or the hard shell?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

It depends on whether you are talking about a shell case or a carrying bag.

Neoprene is a soft. It will only protect you against scratches. Most typical hard shell cases aren't much better at protection either so it depends on if you like the soft feel or a stiff case. The benefit with hard shell cases is that you can get ones that snap onto your laptop so that it's constantly on.

I don't really care much about scratches so I don't use a shell case protector. What I worry about is impact when transporting my laptop. The best protection for that is a good laptop carrying bag with plenty of cushioning. A hard laptop carrying bag is like a brief case and I find them too heavy and bulky for daily usage. A soft carrying bag with enough cushioning works well enough for me.

Once I'm at my destination and my laptop is out on the table I rarely have to worry about some random object hitting my laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Well there are Speck hard cases that protect it against scratches and things like that. Macbook Cases, Sleeves, and Bags - Speck Products

What I use is a hard-shell carrying case, found here: Review: Slappa HardBody PRO Carbon Elektra (lots of pics) .

It is very easy to travel with, as you just throw it in the little bin they provide at the airport and just let it run through.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
deraj090

deraj090 is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of the hard case... it seems somewhat bulky, though?
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Speck case may be best for traveling. It does add a little weight and thickness to the MBP, but not much. I ended up taking it off and put on a protective film for the bottom but leave everything else bare. The aluminum MBP looks too good to keep covered.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Advice | Advice for a new Macbook owner? »