New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

looking to get an origonal macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I am looking at getting my friends macbook and. so far i know its got 512mg of ram, which i have 2 1gb sticks i am putting in it. is there a way to see if it had the issue with the hard drive issue that they were having. what are the things that i need to look for when i look at it on Monday?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I don't know what issue of the HD you are talking about.
Main thing to look for is that it boots properly, that the disk drive works, trackpad and all the keys are working properly, and that there is no water damage.

If it is a friend's Macbook, then he should be forthright about it's history.
Since it is 4 1/2yrs old, the HD could be good, or could be on it's last legs, but HDs are that cheap now it's not an issue.
As far as you swapping out the RAM, as long as it's 200 pin PC2-5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM you should be fine there too, unless it's dodgy RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
As far as you swapping out the RAM, as long as it's 200 pin PC2-5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM you should be fine there too, unless it's dodgy RAM.
It is that cause i still have the box to them.

The other thing is that i am going to need to replace the airport at sometime, the wireless wont work anymore. but the ethernet still does.

This is the issue with the hard drive that i was talking about
Apple - Support - MacBook Repair Extension Program for Hard Drive Issues
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

As you will see I have placed a bold and underlined section here:
Quote:
Apple has determined that a very small percentage of hard drives that were used in MacBook systems, sold between approximately May 2006 and December 2007, may fail under certain conditions.
This is nothing for you to concern yourself about, as if your friend has been using this MB, then he wasn't one of the minority.

Installing MacBook Core Duo AirPort Card - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP trackpad select button stays 'on' | Macbook Ram upgrade? »