New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Optibay + OCZ Vertex 2 120gb + Freezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djlanky

djlanky is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Recently I purchased and installed the MCE Optibay and since then, everytime my MBP goes to sleep and wakes up, it operates for about 10 seconds and then freezes.

Here's what I did:
1. Moved exiting 500gb hard drive into Optibay and installed it into optical bay
2. installed OCZ Vertex 2 120GB into original hard drive position.
3. I have tried checking and unchecking the "put hard drive to sleep" function but there is no change.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

11" Macbook Air (v3,1) 1.4GHz, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 64GB SSD
15" MacBook Pro (v4,1) 2.4GHz, 4GB 667MHz
OCZ 120GB SSD + 500GB (Optibay)
QUOTE Thanks
Corato

Corato is on a distinguished road

I have the OCZ Agility2 in the primary and a Seagate 7200.4 in the Optibay. I used SuperDuper copy my boot drive to the SSD and have Win 7 on the 500GB and no problems with either. I do not use Win 7 much so it might have sleep issue but OS X seems to be fine.

Corato Blog - Macbook Pro 2011 15" 240GB OCZ Vertex4 + Corsair 240GB, Optibay, - iPhone 4s - Synology 207+NAS
QUOTE Thanks
djlanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corato View Post
I have the OCZ Agility2 in the primary and a Seagate 7200.4 in the Optibay. I used SuperDuper copy my boot drive to the SSD and have Win 7 on the 500GB and no problems with either. I do not use Win 7 much so it might have sleep issue but OS X seems to be fine.

Its not that I have problems with the Win 7 part- its OSX that I'm having problems with. Everytime I close the lid of my laptop for 10 min or so and then open it, it freezes after a few seconds.

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

In your case, I believe it's actually caused by the OCZ vertex. If you look up problems with the vertex ssd, you will see what I mean. OCZ, in general, has been having a good deal of issues relating to system power management. Contact OCZ to see if they have any drive updates.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Corato

Corato is on a distinguished road

I did update the firmware on mine before putting OS X on it and I think I remember something about a issue with sleep

Corato Blog - Macbook Pro 2011 15" 240GB OCZ Vertex4 + Corsair 240GB, Optibay, - iPhone 4s - Synology 207+NAS
QUOTE Thanks
djlanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corato View Post
I did update the firmware on mine before putting OS X on it and I think I remember something about a issue with sleep
My drive came with firmware 1.23 and I updated it to 1.24 and the problem is still there. Sigh.........

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I got my OCZ installed in the optical bay today...it's fast as STINK!! I'm liking it a lot!

The only thing I would suggest is that you contact OCZ for a replacement, or do a fresh OS install. Since SSD's on a macbook are supported by TRIM, you will get more problems associated with read/write slow down as you add/erase more files. This is one reason why I believe the OWC cards are the best on the market. They have their own system called "DuraWrite" to prevent corrupt files...which are a known huge problem on SSD's that causes slow downs/lock ups.

One way to prevent this is by relocating all files(such as cache, temp folders, and anything in general that stores data for only a short amount of time, or something that you manually edit a lot), to your normal drive. Keep only hard files on the ssd, such basic OS files.

I just got done copying and relocating all the unnecessary files back into my seagate h-ssd. Took a while, but I know it will be worth it down the road.

PS: I know it sounds weird that locking up after waking from sleep might be caused from corrupted files, but it seems to be what lot's of complaints are focusing in on. Just do a yahoo search of OCZ and locking up.

This drive was just to test out SSD's. My next one will be OWC...for sure!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
einvest

einvest is on a distinguished road

Hi, regarding the freeze on startup issue, check your in System Profiler that the superdrive slot is SATA and not ATA.

'07 and it seems some early '08 macbook pros have ATA superdrive connections that will give you freezing issues like you described if a SATA drive is plugged in. I know this from experience.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2008 Macbook Pro with speaker issues | 13" MacBook Air- satellite or primary computer? »