New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ibook nightmare!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shahid

Hello Folks

Just thought i'd share a few heart-stopping moments i had recently concerning my recently purchased G4 12" ibook, so here follows an account of what happened:

Whilst out meeting a couple of friends yesterday, i decided to unzip my back-pack and show off my pride & joy (G4 ibook) my friend has a Dell windows laptop, which he proudly had on display.

So naturally hoping to match his arrogant sense of pride
I open the lid and hit the power switch on my ibook & nothing happens.. I wait patiently for a few seconds & try again, a few seconds later still nothing.

We are sitting comfortably in some public seating areas during this whole episode, so again i try and switch on the ibook and nothing happens... suddenly i lose grip of the ibook and it slips from my hands (omg!) and to my utter shock & horror it lands itself into a puddle of muddy water!

I proceed to rescue mode with the grace of a baywatch lifeguard, and immediately try to reach down to the floor and grab the ibook.. but with a sense of dismay & disappointment.

My feelings are further heightened as the stark reality of the moment seizes my throat with a vice like grip and i swallow & gulp realizing that my beautiful precious white ibook has now changed colour to a unique dark brown shade.

Fortunately the apple store was close by, so my friend and me rush off there to see if they can help me restore my pride and joy to its former glory.

We enter the store and are greeted by those familiar friendly faces i've come to know so well. I calmly try and explain the situation as i notice my unique brown ibook beginning to drip all the muddy water onto the shiny polished floor of the apple center.

At the same time i notice the apple technician looking at me with which i can only describe as a compassionate but stunned silent gaze..

He hands me some ibook polish with a special cloth used for cleaning ibooks in need of a makeover.
I quickly begin to wipe away the brown mud from my ibook whilst doing this i look closer at my poor ibook and notice it beginning to change colour once again.. but not to its former original white, my dismay turns to unimaginable utter shock as i realize my beautiful white ibook is beginning to resemble a badly sprayed ferrari which has a severe case of rust.

A few moments later... my Alarm clock rings!!! and i open my eyes gradually drifting back into waking conciousness and i realize it was just a bad dream...

Thank god :dive:
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Whew!
QUOTE Thanks
Racing666

did you hug your shiny iBook after this awful dream?
QUOTE Thanks
shahid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing666
did you hug your shiny iBook after this awful dream?
Oh yeah

I showed it some serious love after i awoke.. :dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

What a tease! :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Should have known by the title it was a dream. Because I would not stand any where near a puddle with a electric device.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Lol, I was ready to punch those PC-fanboy friends of yours when you got your iBook out.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

I am ashamed to admit it but I had a similar experience with my 17" PB the other day... Only mine was real. Had to get from my car into my apartment real quick and it had started raining again just as I pulled into my parking spot... I had neglected to put it in the case because I was just dropping in to copy some files and leave again, and when I left work it had stopped raining.

I put my PB firmly under left my arm... and made a run for the door. As I turned the corner of the building I hit a slick spot of mud and down I went... Onto my left side too. Fortunately I was able to hold my arm tight and didn't drop it... But my whole left side was covered in thick mud as was a majority of my PB. I ran up the three stories and into my apartment and began cleaning it off with a washcloth. After a few minutes and the use of some q-tips I was able to bring it back to it's former beauty.

I don't leave the house without it in case anymore... Period.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
shahid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoSharingan
Lol, I was ready to punch those PC-fanboy friends of yours when you got your iBook out.
Ha haha haha .yes.. :p

It was one crazy dream... hope it doesn't become one of those reoccurring dreams.
QUOTE Thanks
shahid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsboy18
I am ashamed to admit it but I had a similar experience with my 17" PB the other day... Only mine was real. Had to get from my car into my apartment real quick and it had started raining again just as I pulled into my parking spot... I had neglected to put it in the case because I was just dropping in to copy some files and leave again, and when I left work it had stopped raining.

I put my PB firmly under left my arm... and made a run for the door. As I turned the corner of the building I hit a slick spot of mud and down I went... Onto my left side too. Fortunately I was able to hold my arm tight and didn't drop it... But my whole left side was covered in thick mud as was a majority of my PB. I ran up the three stories and into my apartment and began cleaning it off with a washcloth. After a few minutes and the use of some q-tips I was able to bring it back to it's former beauty.

I don't leave the house without it in case anymore... Period.

My God yes.. Thankfully, it was so fortunate that you managed to save your powerbook.

I too purchased one of those cases for my ibook, apparently the skin is made from the same stuff divers wear. Making it pretty difficult to get wet (but i wouldn't recommend submersing it in ones bath)

I sometimes have a tendency to be impatient (always rushing around without thinking) and this can lead to forgetfulness, so i'll make a note of reminding myself to keep the ibook in its case when out & about on my travels.

Thanks for sharing your experience

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powerbook ram problems | how can i tell if my yo-yo, or AC IN is shot? »