New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nathanbahl1026

nathanbahl1026 is an unknown at this point

Hey

So...my 2010 Macbook pro crashes. Screen goes black, you can still here the computer on but cannot do anything. Forced to hard boot (hold down power button till off). Every time this happens, I believe I have chrome open. So I was wondering if any one else's macs had an crashes due to google Chrome??

If so..how to solve it. I'm trying to use Safari and really dislike it. Slow and don't really like the interface.

Please help!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

There is always Firefox. However it's slower than Safari.

Chrome doesn't "crash" my MB.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Maybe try uninstalling/reinstalling Chrome?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

In the future, please use more descriptive titles. "Help" doesn't really explain anything.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbahl1026 View Post
Hey

So...my 2010 Macbook pro crashes. Screen goes black, you can still here the computer on but cannot do anything. Forced to hard boot (hold down power button till off). Every time this happens, I believe I have chrome open. So I was wondering if any one else's macs had an crashes due to google Chrome??

If so..how to solve it. I'm trying to use Safari and really dislike it. Slow and don't really like the interface.

Please help!!
Note that forced power downs generally compound the underlying issue(s) by creating filesystem corruption. If you haven't already done so, you would be well advised to run verify/repair disk and verify/repair permissions, as well as run fsck in Single User mode (method described in step 9 here).

I would be willing to bet that Chrome isn't the cause as it's very difficult for an application to crash a modern OS (including Windows), and typically if OS X crashes, it's by way of a kernel panic (which is evident by a translucent screen that overlays the existing app windows and OS). I'd be willing to bet that you've got a hardware problem and would recommend running the Apple Hardware Test. But please do continue testing with other browsers to see if the problem re-emerges.

As far as speed comparisons between Chrome/Safari/Firefox, I honestly think the argument is almost laughable. First of all, Safari and Chrome both use WebKit for rendering. They differ in their Javascript engines, and really, we're talking about microseconds of difference in rendering. In other words, the difference is indiscernible and anyone who claims otherwise is deluded by marketing. Preferences in terms of UI and add-ons are certainly valid, but performance differences are likely a function of the web server you happen to be hitting and the conditions of your ISP - those things will definitely create a discernible difference.

Comparing Firefox to Chrome/Safari is a little different since Firefox's rendering engine is slower in terms of seconds. But then again, Firefox renders a page all at once, rather than rendering parts and pieces in series. Personally, I prefer the Firefox approach and actually think it feels faster since I'm not watching the webpage "paint" itself.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Preparing to re-install Os x. | Got a Display port audio problem »