New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery life tip

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Soulsurfer91709

Soulsurfer91709 is on a distinguished road

First of all let me start by telling you what kind of apple notebook I have. It is a 2010 macbook pro 15" i5 2.53ghz. By using gfxstatus and clicktoflash I have increased my battery life closer to the apple claims regarding battery life. Before I was getting 6 hours with regular use, after installing these applications it jumped up to 7.5-8.5 hrs. Not only did it increase my battery life it also improved the performance of my mac. With gfxstatus I use "intel only" mode when unplugged and "nvidia only" mode when plugged in. Opening applications such as iphoto and imovie seem to be a lot faster due to the absence of auto-switching between graphics. Surfing the web is faster as well due to the blockage of unwanted flash advertisements. I am not a computer genius but just a regular user that wanted to share to those of you who are interested in trying this. So far I have not had any problems with just running the "intel built-in" graphics while on battery power. I would assume that if you are on battery power and decide to use programs that require heavy cpu usage then turning on your macbook's dynamic switching via "gfxstatus" would be a good idea.

I hope that this works for some of you who are complaining about your battery life or even performance.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulsurfer91709

For those of you who don't know, the nvidia 330m graphics that sometimes automatically turns on depending on what programs or websites are visited is notorious for draining the macbook pro batteries quicker.
QUOTE Thanks
brigitculkins

brigitculkins is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing this info I would love to try it out for myself well there are plenty of members in these forums that are having a problem with their battery life this info would be useful for them.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulsurfer91709

I'm glad you're gonna try it...let me know what happens. Remember results will all be different from user to user. I hope it works well for you and for many others.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro - should i buy | Battery life reduced by 40% within a week, probably NOT the battery, what is? »