New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP external Monitor hookup: Confused

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nimmle24

nimmle24 is on a distinguished road

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what connector to get for this monitor

Newegg.com - Hanns·G HZ251HPB Black 25" 2ms X-Celerate OD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 X-Contrast 15,000:1 DCR (800:1 typical) Built-in Speakers

It has a DVI port.

I have a brand new, newest gen, 13' macbook pro (not air). I want to hook this monitor up to my MBP, but it's incredibly confusing.

Please direct me.

Preferably a cheap amazon version would do nicely, but if getting the right thing off of apple for full price, then so be it.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

You need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptor.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

TrueBassist is correct. Here in the US, best price for the adapter will be found at monoprice.com or Amazon. Of course, you'll also need a DVI-D cable along with the adapter.

Just checked and monoprice has the mini displayport to DVI cable - save you a few coins with the adapter/cable combo - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
nimmle24

nimmle24 is on a distinguished road

Why would I need a DVI-D cable with the adapter? Wouldn't that come from the monitor side?
QUOTE Thanks
pinchy

pinchy is on a distinguished road

By the looks of it, that monitor doesn't ship with a DVI cable. Just a DVI to HDMI cable.

You'll just need the adapter to go from display port, and a DVI to DVI cable to plug it into from the adapter to the monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
phxccw

phxccw is on a distinguished road

Whats the benefit of of DVI over VGA?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxccw View Post
Whats the benefit of of DVI over VGA?
DVI is digital, VGA is analog.

DVI has better output quality.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
[DT]

[DT] has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Would it make more sense for the OP to get a Mini-DP to HDMI adapter?

Then they could use the cable supplied with the monitor (DVI-HDMI), and as a side bonus, have an adapter that would let them connect their new MBP to HDMI devices like a TV set!

At Monoprice for $7.65

For only $6.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters

I realize this is a little bit of an old[er] post (and the OP probably already figured it out). I was kind of posting for my own education. We have a couple of DVI monitors and I thought about occasionally connecting our new MBP to one. Figured the HDMI adapter would give us more flexability[?]
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

I agree with [DT]. I am currently using the same set up. A mini Dp to HDMI and it works like a charm, but if the monitor comes with a DVI cable you can go either way. I would pick the cheaper cable.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Please note anyone reading this thread.

There are, at this time, three (3) different video out ports that can be found on Intel based Apple notebooks.

One (1) of those video ports ships with models that support audio out through the video port and other models that do not support audio out through that same port.

Do not read this thread and think "That is what I need" or "This is what worked on mine, get this".

Please don't make the mistake of purchasing adapters/cables based on the fact that it worked for someone else.

If you're looking for help in connecting yours, see the following thread:

Connecting your Mac to a TV

Specifically, that link to monoprice by DT, would not be the suggested route for one of the new Macs that support audio out, as that adapter from monoprice does not support audio.

QUOTE Thanks
[DT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Specifically, that link to monoprice by DT, would not be the suggested route for one of the new Macs that support audio out, as that adapter from monoprice does not support audio.
Thanks for the heads up! That was my first look into DP adapters, and didn't realize some aren't designed for audio. I found a few super cheap options on Amazon, but went with a brand name that was distributed direct from Amazon (so free 2-day shipping, easier returns, etc.).

It's the Kanex iConnect V2, supports HDMI video/audio on latest model MBPs (mid-2010 machines), so it looked like a terrific option for our one week old machine, for the occasional TV connection and to use one of our larger displays (with an HDMI -> DVI cable).

It was ~$8 cheaper than the Moshi ($21 to my door) and just as well reviewed.

Also picked up Parallels 6, but that's a different post I suppose

Getting some great info out of this forum, I'll probably subscribe as a paid member.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

The Kanex is a good choice. The <$10 mdp adapters have gotten so messed up at Amazon that I can't recommend any of them for folks that have audio support on their Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
[DT]

Meant to follow up sooner. Got in the adapter, and it works terrific! On our Sony TV, it worked perfect, just had to go into the Audio Prefs and select the out device (Sony TV was listed).

Hooked it up to my new Viewsonic VG24 series monitor and it looks amazing running 1920x1080.

Thanks for the extra info and confirmation on the Kanex product!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« office into folder | 85w charger for macbook pro 13 »