New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help please!.. You usually don't answer my questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lany

Lany is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.5.8 2 GHz intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM & Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 MacBook

Hello,
My computer is very slow lately.. My laptop shows I've used 148.61 GB and I have only 12.98 left. I can't figure out what is taking all the space. I got rid of most my photos on the computer (I do photography) and still, I think it freed up about 2 GB. I have quite a few of the Hidden objects games, but they don't show that they are all that big.
Anyway.. I was using my OnyX program to see if I can help free up some space somehow through this application. When I went to permissions to fix them, it came up with all this stuff:

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r--
ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DotMacSyncHelper.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/dotmacsyncui.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacLegacy.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeDirectory", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeSignature", should be ?--------- , they are ----------
Permissions differ on "System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPDisplaysReporter.spreporter/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ----------

Finished verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD

It won't seem to fix them... it keeps telling me there are all these problems but won't fix through this application or the application that came with the computer in utilities that is supposed to fix permissions. I tried navigating to the folders they are printing out here (System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- ) I go to my Macintosh and then the Library, but I've looked 8 times and there is no "CoreServices" folder in there. I tried searching up "Core" through the macintosh and nothing comes up on my computer. How can I not have CoreServices if they are telling me this is where the problem is on my computer? Is there anyway to fix these permissions? I couldn't figure out how, so I was going to try to manually fix each one, but obviously I can't do that if I can't find it on my computer.
can ANYBODY help me out? Please?

Lany
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Are you repairing permissions or checking permissions?

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you are trying to figure out what is using your disk space try Disk Inventory X

Disk Inventory X

When you find out come back to us and we will be happy to give further help

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Lany,

I really don't understand your thread title:

"Help please!.. You usually don't answer my questions."

You've only posted 2 threads here on Mac-Forums (this is the 2nd one)...and from what I can see...you've gotten multiple responses to both threads???

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Have a read of this and ignore those messages:-

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

Your problem is the hard drive is full and you do need about 20% free space for the drive to work anywhere near its peak efficiency. 160GB hard drive by today's standards is tiny, especially if you are into photos and/or music.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lany View Post
I tried navigating to the folders they are printing out here (System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- ) I go to my Macintosh and then the Library, but I've looked 8 times and there is no "CoreServices" folder in there.
It's there - you're just in the wrong spot. Open up Finder > go to your HD > System > Library > CoreServices. Sounds like you're looking in the library folder that isn't in the System folder. Although you can go there, I would strongly suggest that you don't mess around with anything in there.

You're going to need to free up some more space. This is an easy way to start solving your problem. Do you have an external HD that you can transfer some files over to?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Agree…your HD is too full. Load in a larger one or offload some of the files. Voila!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

What program or programs are you using for photography. Some of them will store a lot of information in caché folders without the user being aware of the fact that they keep growing larger as time goes on. Not only that, but if you're rendering 1:1 previews, along with high resolution thumbnails for browsing, then that will hog a lot of space too.

So. What programs are you using? Photography and non photography related too, I guess.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Lany

Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.5.8 2 GHz intel Core Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM & Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Lany,

I really don't understand your thread title:

"Help please!.. You usually don't answer my questions."

You've only posted 2 threads here on Mac-Forums (this is the 2nd one)...and from what I can see...you've gotten multiple responses to both threads???

- Nick
Sorry... obviously there are at least two of these mac forum sites.
QUOTE Thanks
Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's there - you're just in the wrong spot. Open up Finder > go to your HD > System > Library > CoreServices. Sounds like you're looking in the library folder that isn't in the System folder. Although you can go there, I would strongly suggest that you don't mess around with anything in there.

You're going to need to free up some more space. This is an easy way to start solving your problem. Do you have an external HD that you can transfer some files over to?
Yes.. I do have a external hard drive. But I'm confused to what is taking up so much space.. when I look at my apps & files, I don't see huge ones.. not since I took most my photos off, which is pretty sad because I need to have the photos on the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Are you repairing permissions or checking permissions?

- Simon
Repairing permissions. Since the program told me my computer needed to be fixed after running a check through the OnyX program.
QUOTE Thanks
Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
What program or programs are you using for photography. Some of them will store a lot of information in caché folders without the user being aware of the fact that they keep growing larger as time goes on. Not only that, but if you're rendering 1:1 previews, along with high resolution thumbnails for browsing, then that will hog a lot of space too.

So. What programs are you using? Photography and non photography related too, I guess.

Doug
I have Photo Shop elements along with the plug in "OnOne Photo Essentials"
QUOTE Thanks
Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post

Ah! okay.. I found it now... I take your suggestion seriously. How do I fix all these naughty errors then? also.. I don't use Front Row, and noticed a lot of those errors are in that application (I'm guessing because it says there are all these mistakes in "FrontRow") Can I take Front Row off the computer entirely?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Well i answered your question.

Did you actually read the link as yet?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lany View Post
Yes.. I do have a external hard drive. But I'm confused to what is taking up so much space.. when I look at my apps & files, I don't see huge ones.. not since I took most my photos off, which is pretty sad because I need to have the photos on the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
If you are trying to figure out what is using your disk space try Disk Inventory X

Disk Inventory X

When you find out come back to us and we will be happy to give further help
Take a look at Disk Inventory X as louishen has suggested.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Macbook! | I'm stuck so time to ask the pros »