New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

powerbook v new iBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macian

Just wondering if anyone can explain what more you get for your money by getting a powerbook v. one of the new iBooks. Seems to me, looking at 12inch models, that for about US$500 more you get a slightly quicker processer, slightly more HD space and a but better video card. Other than the pbs looking better, what's the point?
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

at the moment id get the new 14" iBook as you can have more ram than a PB and the processor isnt that much quicker at 1.5Ghz is it so id vote for that personally
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

The HDD speed is faster and the System Bus is faster on the PowerBook as well. That could add up...with the graphics card and the faster processor to a significant difference. In my case I went refurbished and so I think for that smaller price difference I'm really not sad that did not wait for the updates.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Those are the little bits, at least.

Plus, the Powerbook is more professional, and overall a better feel. Not that it translates directly to performance..but the overall package is better. imho
QUOTE Thanks
j4kovzky

and it's Aluminum, compared to a polycarbonate plastic ibooks.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Given the recent updates, I still would have purchased a powerbook. I've given much thought to it, and it's appearance and overall feel makes 75% of the Apple experience for me. I'd hate to have to whip out a white toy looking laptop (no offense to iBook owners, I was one too, TWICE!) for a board meeting or department meeting, you know?
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

Powerbooks certainly look more professional than iBooks, but iBooks still turn a lot of heads when you get one out in public. The actual look of the machine is all down to personal preference but I can say one thing, the build quality and feel of both notebooks is way beyond what most companies can pull out for a price like Apple.
Compared to the pBook, the iBook might not look or feel as good but compared to 95% of all other laptops I have seen people use, its extraordinary.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

A PowerBook has
- Slightly faster CPU
- Faster system bus
- Better graphics card
- Faster HD (5400 RPM)
- Larger stock HD
- Audio line-in
- DVI video out (to drive a Cinema display or something)
- dual display support (big help when presenting on projectors)
- Slightly smaller and lighter
- Slightly better keyboard
- Slighlty better built-in speakers

An iBook has
- A significantly lower price
- Better AirPort reception (aluminum impedes 2.4GHz radio)
- Slightly better abuse tollerance (won't dent or scratch)
[EDIT: add the following iBook features]
- Higher maximum RAM
- Different software bundle (AppleWorks, games, enclyclopedia, Quicken; but no GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, or QuickBooks.)
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Redbrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
A PowerBook has
- Slightly faster CPU
- Faster system bus
- Better graphics card
- Faster HD (5400 RPM)
- Larger stock HD
- Audio line-in
- DVI video out (to drive a Cinema display or something)
- dual display support (big help when presenting on projectors)
- Slightly smaller and lighter
- Slightly better keyboard
- Slighlty better built-in speakers

An iBook has
- A significantly lower price
- Better AirPort reception (aluminum impedes 2.4GHz radio)
- Slightly better abuse tollerance (won't dent or scratch)
[EDIT: add the following iBook features]
- Higher maximum RAM
- Different software bundle (AppleWorks, games, enclyclopedia, Quicken; but no GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, or QuickBooks.)
...won't scratch? You're kidding right? I like the ibook, but that plastic scratches...really easily. I see this in the stores all the time. I've even seen scuff marks on the edges.... Yes, that plastic won't dent...but it does crack...
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrick
...won't scratch? You're kidding right? I like the ibook, but that plastic scratches...really easily. I see this in the stores all the time. I've even seen scuff marks on the edges.... Yes, that plastic won't dent...but it does crack...
What I meant is, the scratches aren't easily visible. Unless it's dirty, the scratches won't show up except up close under bright light (like the lights at an Apple Store.) Up close, every iBook I've seen is absolutely covered in tiny scratches.

A small scratch in aluminum really stands out.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Redbrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
What I meant is, the scratches aren't easily visible. Unless it's dirty, the scratches won't show up except up close under bright light (like the lights at an Apple Store.) Up close, every iBook I've seen is absolutely covered in tiny scratches.

A small scratch in aluminum really stands out.
True. If you don't find a scratch...then you might find a crack...so what would you rather have? A crack of or a dent? I'll take a dent instead.

Also you mentioned 'Higher Maximum Ram' support for the ibook I believe the ibook can only hold up to 1.5 gigs and the PB can hold up to 2 gigs.

Also some of your listed software bundle is also included on the PB... at least it was on mine.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrick
Also you mentioned 'Higher Maximum Ram' support for the ibook I believe the ibook can only hold up to 1.5 gigs and the PB can hold up to 2 gigs.

Also some of your listed software bundle is also included on the PB... at least it was on mine.
Both the RAM and software differences are according to the Apple specs page. It may be possible to increase the RAM in the 12" PowerBook beyond 1.25 GB, but not without completely disassembling the notebook.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

the point is though unless you need a line in or a DVI connection then IMO the iBook is the best bang per buck
QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

Honestly I like the looks of the iBooks better, if Apple made an iBook with the performance and features of a PowerBook, I'd be all over that.

The audio line in, better graphics card, and faster system bus are the features that I want most.
QUOTE Thanks
doomzmaster

doomzmaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook 14" 1.42GHz 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanson
Honestly I like the looks of the iBooks better, if Apple made an iBook with the performence and features of a PowerBook, I'd be all over that.

The audio line in, better graphics card, and faster system bus are the features that I want most.

I agree i'm purchasing my first mac laptop soon and i'm stuck between the looks of the ibook and the performance of a powerbook. I never thought it would matter so much but it really does.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook g3 ram | Grrr. Powerbook display problem »