New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Frustrated, Need tips for Macbook Battery, HELP!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eperrine

Eperrine is on a distinguished road

Hi friends (:
( Before i start, i have a 2010 Macbook Pro 13", 2.66GHz 4GB ram 320GB HD )

Okay, so i've been getting all this different information, and i'm really confused.

Question/Frustration 1: So let me get this straight; the less cycles on a macbook battery, the longer it'll last for? BUT it's also recommended not to leave your macbook plugged into the wall after its fully charged? EVEN THOUGH if you dont leave it plugged in, it'll create many more cycles?

ARGH. Sorry guys, but i'm getting frustrated! I want a straight and honest answer. I've also downloaded coconut battery. i've had the macbook for 2 month, i've had 34 cycles, while some of my friends have had same time as me, and only have 7 cycles!

So, whats the real answer? Plug it in to wall? Or not to?

Question/Frustration 2: Also, is it possible to get my macbook pro battery replaced? are my macbook battery replaceable? And if i get it replaced, will it cause damage/marks to my macbook?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! Sorry for all the questions! But i'm a new mac owner, and i need to get these questions solved, correctly!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The real answer is to stop sweating it and use your Mac the way you want to use it. Batteries are consumables. The overall cost of them when spread out over the period of time you use them is so little as to be insignificant.

Read the Apple page on the care and maintenance of your battery. After you've read that page, then head for the 'About Notebook Batteries' page - just keep those facts in mind and try to remember to calibrate it on occasion.

After you've read it, have it somewhat clear in your mind what Apple is recommending:

Let it go, have fun, enjoy your new Mac!!!!

All batteries are not created equal.
When the battery life gets to be too short to suit you, it's time to get another.
Have my 3rd battery on the way for my 4 yr old MBP treating it pretty much the way Apple recommends.
Meanwhile, my wife is still on her first battery in her 4 yr old machine that is plugged into power 100% of the time unless I borrow it, has been calibrated exactly 1 time in 4 years and the health indicates better than new capacity.
Have read other posts of users with 7,8,9 hundred cycles on 3+ yr old batteries that are still going strong.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Adding to that, as much as it pretty much covers it.... You cannot overcharge the battery, as it stops charging once it is fully charged.
Also, stay away from coconut battery, and while we are at it, SMC FanControl, as they will both do your head, just as much as they have many a many posters here and on most forums.

Would you pay such attention to your car's battery or fans?
(Yes, that was a rhetorical question).

As that Godly figure above stated,
Quote:
stop sweating it and use your Mac the way you want to use it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virtual CD | Need help, wife was playing around »