New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External optical drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gary86

Gary86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2010 13" MBP; Late 2010 13" MBA

Do I have to use the Apple superdrive with my Macbook Air or can I use a third party one? I'm about to use bootcamp but realized I can't without an optical drive. Can't use the remote drive on my wife's macbook pro.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Unfortunately Gary, it has to be the Apple superdrive.
QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

Gary86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2010 13" MBP; Late 2010 13" MBA

well d@mn...oh well. Kinda weird online it's 79 Bucks and in the store it was 99...what gives?
QUOTE Thanks
meglet

meglet is on a distinguished road

Not necessarily on both counts. I was in a similar situation a couple weeks ago, and found multiple reports of people (including in at least one MBA review) who used a non-SuperDrive optical drive to load BootCamp. I can't confirm this personally as I didn't pick up any drive with my MBA.

I went a different route, though. I found two separate methods for loading BootCamp without an optical drive. This one requires having another Mac available and some convoluted work with partitions and such.

This is the method I used to load Win7 from a pre-loaded USB thumb (I'd created the key previously for installing my desktop PC.) It does require having access to a PC running Vista or Win7 to create the bootable USB thumb drive. It was actually a really simple process once I figured out to run re-FIT after running the BootCamp wizard. And once it was all done, I booted back into OS X and re-selected one of my OS partitions as the startup disc to get rid of the re-FIT menu every time the laptop booted
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Actually, the rEFIt boot menu is a convenience. I use it to select which OS I want to boot (Snow Leopard or Win 7) rather than have to use other methods. You should have kept it.
QUOTE Thanks
dmw16

dmw16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
well d@mn...oh well. Kinda weird online it's 79 Bucks and in the store it was 99...what gives?
I thought that the $79 one only worked on the MBA, where the $99 one worked on any Mac? Maybe I'm wrong tho.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for Advice on what Mac/software to get.. | Why such low video resolution? »