New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Faulty Install DVDs Shipped?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ComputerStation

ComputerStation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250GB HD 4GB Ram OS X 10.6.4 IOMega 1TB External HD iPod nano 3g 8GB

So this is a problem I have had for a while now and I really want to get it sorted but i'm not sure the right way I should go about it. I really need some new install dvds!

When I got my MacBook Pro 13 back from its hard drive repair from apple I then decided to do a clean install of os x. So immediately when I got it home I then dug out my install dvds which came with my MacBook Pro and proceeded to re-install mac os x, but if it was only that simple...

I switched off my mbp while the os x install dvd was in and powered it back up holding the "c" key. The apple logo came up and not long after so did the spinning gear - which was expected. What wasn't expected was that it would not get past that grey screen with the apple logo, I was waiting of about 15-20 mins. (I think one time the screen actually went black)

I then tried booting from the disc a different way (holding down option key at startup) but still same thing. So then I reset the NVRam and PRam, again no luck.

Eventually I give up hope and went to my friends (who has a white macbook) to see if his install dvds worked on my mbp. Surprise Surprise his dvds worked successfully but said that it couldn't install os x. (I wasn't expecting it to anyway).

After that I then rang up Apple and spoke to a guy who I then explained to the problems I have being having with my mbp. He then asked me again to reset the NVRam and PRam etc.
I told him it booted off another install dvd and he acknowledged that. But at the end of the phone call he then asked me if I wanted to make an appointment for the genius bar because it is a hardware related problem.

What?

How can it be a hardware problem with my computer if my friends dvds work but mine don't? Waste of time.

So this is the question for you guys. Do you think if I make a genius bar appointment they will just take my mbp for a repair which isn't needed? Or do you think they will realise the problem and give me replacement dvds.

*Also any advice what I could say to them to convince them would help too*

Thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Make the genius appointment and let Apple sort it out. It sounds like a hardware problem to me too. It could in fact be related to the recent hard drive repair you had done by Apple. If the original install media doesn't work and a friend's disk from another machine does, that's a further indication of a hardware problem.
QUOTE Thanks
ComputerStation

ComputerStation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250GB HD 4GB Ram OS X 10.6.4 IOMega 1TB External HD iPod nano 3g 8GB

I also forgot to add that I tried copying the files using my Windows PC with macdrive and it also shown a error.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Battery | Choppy Video In Full screen »