New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Horrible service experience - Unlawful refusal of warranty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rastogilokesh

rastogilokesh is on a distinguished road

I have always been very appreciative of Apple brand & products. I use quite a few apple products including ipods & MacBook.

I have always been believing Apple's philosophy of “making every customer happy” and the fact that Apple's customer support is “one of the best” in the globe. I write this with deep agony & pain that above statements do not seem to be fairing well in the real life scenario.

Pls allow me to share this with the forum.

I purchased a MacBook white some time back. After few months, the notebook developed a very peculiar hair line crack in its lower body. Upon showing it to the service engineer in one of the reseller stores, I was told that these problems do arise in some of the units & being a manufacturing defect, body shall be replaced as the product was within one year standard warranty. I was requested to first register a case on the call centre, obtain a case id and then drop the unit to any of the authorised service centres for replacement of body.

I did just that & visited the service centre with the case id where under mentioned sequence of events happened:
1. Service engineer inspected the MacBook & confirmed that it was very clearly a manufacturing defect in the lower body & in NO WAY could be a result of any physical damage etc.
2. He took snaps of the unit & send the same to the customer care for their review & approval for change of body.
3. One week later I was informed that the apple customer care has rejected the case saying that it’s a “physical damage” in lower body & thus not covered under warranty. Further, had it been a crack in upper body (around the keypad), the same could be replaced.
4. The service engineer expressed his helplessness that in spite of it clearly being a factory defect, he cannot change the verdict given by the customer care.
5. Upon my request, he again had a chat with the customer care & this time got a different answer that it is a “consumable item” & thus not covered in warranty.

I have a few questions here to Apple:
1. When two of their service engineers (first in the store & then in the service centre) have looked at the unit & agree that the defect is a factory defect & CANNOT be caused by any physical damage, then how come the customer care has a different view ONLY by looking at snaps of the unit. The defect is very minute & may not even be properly visible in the snaps.
2. How come a crack in upper body (around the keypad) is covered in warranty & same crack in lower body is not covered.
3. How can a legitimate warranty claim be rejected on account of it being a “consumable item”.

Hope APPLE would live upto its perceived customer care standards & resolve my issues.

Pls share if any of the forum members have had similar issues in Macbook or other apple products.

Thanks,
Lokesh Rastogi
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I've had a similar experience with the same problem (out of warranty), and I escalated the problem through the apple chain until they replaced the part and I paid for the labour to change the part. Yes, this was a compromise, and I could have taken it further, but didn't want to put all my energy into it.
I would advise that you escalate the case until you get what you consider to be a fair resolution.
Patience and persistence is the key, but must be done with a cool head.

These things happen, even with Apple. Nobody's perfect!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replaced keyboard but still have dysfunctional keys | File Sharing From MacBook Pro to Droid X »