New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How to Set Folder Permission / Locking in usb drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Er_bhambra

Er_bhambra is on a distinguished road

I am not able to set Folder permission in my USB drive.

I tried following steps & methods which are not fruitful to me:

Method 1.

a. Right clicked folder and selected Get Info.
b. Here i'm not able to Lock my folder
and also i don't see any File/Folder permission settings.

Only i can see Read & write permission.

Method 2:

a. Opened Terminal
b. tried the following command

sudo chmod -R 777 /Volumes/Transcend/<Folder name>

c. i tried ls -l which again reflected permission drwxrwxrwx.

Method 3:

I tried batchmod utility which is also not so useful.

Now please let me know by which i can set my folder permission in my USB drive. To which no other person can read or write. If possible not even copy from usb drive.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

What you are trying to do is impossible with a USB drive or any HD, the second a different person takes that drive and puts it into his USB slot he is granted Read and Write perms.
The same can be applied to the computers HD, as long as the HD is in the computer and you have booted from the HD you can't look into other users home folder.
But take that same HD and start the computer in Target mode or rip the HD out and stick it into a external HD reader and you can look into every place on that HD no matter what the permissions.

What you can do is make a encrypted disk image.
Although this doesn't hinder anyone from deleting the Disk Image, just reading the Disk Images contents.
Store files securely on a USB flash drive - Mac OS X Hints

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Er_bhambra

Er_bhambra is on a distinguished road

Very right, Is there any other way which asks for the password on boting USB Drive
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Unless your flash drive has a built-in firmware that lets you set a password your best option is making a disk image to store the data.

This is one of the USB drives that have the option to password protect drive contents and also plays nice with Macs.
16GB Store 'n' Go® PRO USB Drive

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook 2010 distorted speakers | New MBP 13" Trackpad »