New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Bundle Protection?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rls303

rls303 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
Just bought a Macbook 13.3 inch tonight. It's so beautiful...would have liked black for the maintenance aspect but still happy nonetheless.

I am interested in keeping this for a long time and want to take good care of it.
This is my first MAC coming from a PC...are there any virus softwares I should buy? Also, would like to record lectures on it as well? However, it does not come with MS Office, if I use a free program like openoffice would it work to record lecs? What word processor/program would you guys suggest or is there a place where I can get free access to MS applications?

I also want to protect the laptop from falls/scratches/being crumpled between heavy textbooks in my backpack...so any sleave/case I can get? I also want a protector/cover for the keyboard...is there a place where I can get a bundle discount on these items?

I'm also a college student, I should add...any discounts I can get? If you guys recommend any specific stores in the Orange county area as well I would appreciate it. Is apple care worth getting?

Thanks for any help in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
NewMacUser5

NewMacUser5 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive

Congrats on your new MBP! I am also a proud new owner of a 13" MBP. I did my research and purchased this sleeve for mine (the protection is awesome):

MacBook Sleeves by booq

I can't recommend this sleeve enough!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls303 View Post
This is my first MAC coming from a PC...
Congrats!

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod.

Quote:
are there any virus softwares I should buy?
Nope. There are no viruses, so what would a virus software do?

Quote:
Also, would like to record lectures on it as well? However, it does not come with MS Office, if I use a free program like openoffice would it work to record lecs?
Bit like buying a tank to go to the grocery store, don't you think? QuickTime X (built in) can do this, and there must be at least a dozen third-party apps as well, ranging from free to cheap.

Quote:
What word processor/program would you guys suggest or is there a place where I can get free access to MS applications?
In no particular order, I like:
Bean (free)
Mariner Write ($60)
TextEdit (included, free)
Pages (part of iWork, $79 for three programs)

MS doesn't offer free versions of Microsoft Office. If you enjoy being here, I would suggest you not bring up pirating software again.

Quote:
I also want to protect the laptop from falls/scratches/being crumpled between heavy textbooks in my backpack...so any sleave/case I can get?
Wouldn't it be a better idea not to put in the backpack?

You sound like a good candidate for a hard Speck shell. Google.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

^ LOL ....kinda like a tidal wave hit! ;p
QUOTE Thanks
rls303

rls303 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys...I have never spent so much money on anything before, so I want to protect it as much as possible.

Sometimes I have heavy textbooks in my bag, so I think I might be reluctant to put it in my backpack.

I was hoping there was like a way to protect it from falling. I was also hoping there was a bundle where I could save money on buying the keboard cover, and sleave all at once.

Would you guys suggest anything for the trackpad...to protect it?

Lastly, with regards to bean...do you guys find it better than OpenOffice?

I was told my the representative that I will not be able to record lectures without MSWord 2008 at least...but I can use it separately with quicktime?

It's a rather big lecture hall so I hope I use the right software.

I will look into the sleeves booq...are they better reputed than the other ones?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Since you're in school, check with your local school bookstore to see if they carry MS Office for the Mac (since you say you need it). Usually, school bookstores offer a discount on software. And since MS is releasing Mac Office 2011 on October 27th, you may want to wait.

As for Bean, it's a good word processor and will save and open to *.DOC by default. I don't believe, however, that it can do the same with the XML format (*.DOCX). Your best bet is to buy MS Office and as I stated above, the new version is coming shortly.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

You will find some lecturers now, and later at college and university, will not accept your work unless it is submitted in Word, they get that 'closed shop' about it.Sso as chscag suggests, invest in Office 2011 and look for a cheap student version through school.

It will last for years and is the best office suite.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Did i brick my 2010 mbp? | Trackpad sticks »