New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Connecting Macbook Pro to Sony via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI causes video to stutter

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

okstad

okstad is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Hope anyone can help me out with this one! Been browsing the net for hours without any result so far..

Ive connected my Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB ram (Mid2010) to my new Sony Bravia KDL-40EX700 via a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. The connection apparently works fine giving full 1080p image and sound via the HDMI cable.

However. When trying to play back any video in full screen, the playback goes slightly choppy (stutters). The audio is playing back fine. The video is not far from perfect, but the slight stuttering is very annoying! Regardless of what video I play (DVD from MAC, full 1080p files, divx) this issue occurs.

When connecting my Xbox360 or DVD/Bluray player via HDMI the picture is smooth.

So far Ive tried the following without any results:
  • run all updates for OSX
  • tried various resolutions (1080p / 1080i / 720p etc)
  • switching to the TV as main monitor i OSX display preferences
  • running TV as only monitor
  • different settings regarding the Hz
  • disabling various settings on the TV (Sony Motionflow etc)

If anyone has the same problem or can point me in the right direction that would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Carlf

Carlf is on a distinguished road

Perhaps it is the HDMI cable. Have you tried another one?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Cable would also be my first inclination. Make sure you're using a cable labled as 'High Speed' HDMI.

For example: this one vs this one.

For anyone else looking to purchase HDMI cables, if it does not say "High Speed" in the name, stay away at this point in time.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
okstad

Thank you! Ill get a new cable today and let you know i if it works better than the one I got!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Do keep us posted.

Only 'High Speed' HDMI cables support 1080p which is what most will be wanting to use connecting to their TVs. Most of the 1.3 cables "should" work. Am wondering at this point, if this may be the issue in at least some cases where folks are having problems connecting their Macs to their TVs rather than an EDID issue.

Edit: doesn't need to be a high dollar cable, just "high speed".

QUOTE Thanks
okstad

I have now tried a (very expensive!) HDMI cable specially made for high end multimedia setups.. and guess what: no differense. The video is still stuttering when playing from my MacBook ...so now im back at square one trying to solve this problem.

If anyone out there has any idea what might work, please let me know!
QUOTE Thanks
okstad

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Turned out to be a function called CineMotion within the Sony Bravia (3:2 pulldown process) that was causing the stuttering in the video. For some reason this function is enabled by default.

After switching this option to Off (instead of Auto 1 or Auto 2) all video transfered to the Bravia is now running super smooth!

Anyone experiencing similar problems should read this article:

http://interscription.com/2008/04/07...y-video-sucks/

in short: When feeding HDMI signal from Apple Mac to Sony Bravia HDTV -> CineMotion should be turned OFF
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Appreciate the report and glad you got it working.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Palmguard Protector and Keyboard Protector for Non-Unibody MBP? | Please Help »