New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Replacement for GSA-S10N SuperDrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drabina

drabina is on a distinguished road

Is there an alternative to the GSA-S10N SuperDrive that I could install in my 15.4" MacBook Pro? The drive in my laptop has failed and it is constantly rejecting CD/DVDs. I am asking because the GSA-S10N drive is old and either expensive or I would have to get used one. I would prefer new one though. This drive has the older ATAPI interface.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

MacBook/MacBook Pro 15" 8x SuperDrive - iFixit
SuperDrive DVD/CD Upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 15" - Read/Write Faster + More Burn options!
QUOTE Thanks
drabina

Thanks for the links.

Any idea if GWA-4080MB drive will fit my A1226 MacBook Pro 15.4"? I found this Hitachi/LG drive for $32.99 refurbished. That's a lot cheaper than buying new one for almost $200.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Stay away from cheap refurbished optical drives or hard drives unless you like changing them out over and over again. Buy a good quality replacement drive and don't be "Penny wise and Pound foolish".
QUOTE Thanks
drabina

I do agree that good quality hardware is better than cheap refurbished one. One thing I can't justify though is spending $200 on an optical drive that proven not to be of good quality to begin with. My MacBook is about 2 years old and the drive hasn't been used that much. I do rarely burn or play CD/DVDs. I have computers here at work that are a lot older, we burn disks all the time and they are still working. Based on that I guess I will take my chances with $30 drive.
QUOTE Thanks
drabina

Just wanted to write an update. I have installed the refurbished drive bought from Geeks.com. So far it is working fine. Reads all CD/DVDs and I haven't had a single coaster yet when burning. So I took my chances with $32 refurbished drive and I am happy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2.66 i7 VS. 2.8 i7 | Help! Installing Seagate Momentus XT in MBP »