New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook screen issues


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
brairden

 
brairden's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 252
brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

brairden is offline
I bought an early 2008 MacBook today on the cheap, with a screen issue. About 40% of the screen is functioning normally, with vertical lines of various color on the other 60%. I had planned on buying a new display and throwing in it, but after some internet research, I have found quite a few instances where people had the same problem, and have claimed it was the display data cable. After a teardown of the laptop, I can find no "bad spots" or instances of wear in the cable. I have a hard time believing that these cables just "go bad". Anyone ever had this problem or heard of it? The display is not cracked or broken anywhere, appears to no physical damage to the laptop that would suggest physical trauma in any way, and the display is fully backlit.

I can get the cable for less than $30, so I would like to believe that is the problem. But I don't.

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,425
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
I'm with you. In very few instances will those cables ever go bad - and usually when it does happen it's because someone didn't disassemble the machine correctly and damaged the cable. However, if it makes you feel better, order the cable along with the display especially if you can get one for less than $30.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Refurbished, Y/N? | Cleaning MacBook »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Macbook dual screen and cmd+tab. Mizuchi OS X - Operating System 2 02-08-2010 05:39 PM
Macbook Pro Screen Display Playing Up on Boot Up tsam19 Apple Notebooks 0 12-26-2009 02:52 PM
MacBook Pro 13" Screen Issues z.j.c5 Apple Notebooks 6 06-14-2009 10:41 PM
Print Screen button in a MacBook Pro Tarek Schweb's Lounge 1 09-19-2008 01:25 AM
The "Mod your MacBook" thread kaidomac Apple Notebooks 50 07-11-2006 08:49 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?