New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External Hard Drive Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zskirkton

zskirkton is on a distinguished road

Hi, first post here.

So I recently purchased a 1TB Western Digital 'My Passport' external hard drive for use with my Macbook Pro. I plugged it in and the hard drive showed up in my Finder, no problem. I dragged some files onto the drive and they all copied over, again, no problem.

However, after ejecting the device, I tried to re-plug it in a little while later, but this time it didn't open on my computer. I could hear the drive humming when I plugged it in, but it didn't appear in the Finder under 'Devices'.

I also tried plugging in a little 8GB flashdrive I have, and that didn't come up either. I tried every USB port on the computer - no such luck.

So I restarted my computer, and after that, it seemed to recognize both my new hard drive and flashdrive again. But sure enough, after ejecting the hard drive, waiting a few minutes and then plugging it back in, again it wouldn't open.

I've recreated this problem three times now. My computer will recognize the hard drive the first time around, but then subsequently won't recognize anything I plug into it until restarting the computer. As of right now, this is a minor inconvenience (the hard drive is usable, but I'd hate to have to restart my computer every single time I want to use it), but I'm afraid this might indicate a more severe issue I might run into with it down the road.

Any advice? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I would start with the simple "Repair Permissions" on the main drive.

QUOTE Thanks
zskirkton

zskirkton is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip - no luck, though. Problem is still occurring.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

What kind of system is it? (iMac, Macbook, Mac Mini etc)
What version of OSX does it run?
What all is connected to system?

One of Apple's official procedures for a problem like this would be;
Shut down the system
Unplug everything from the computer
Turn it back on
Plug everything back in.

I've been searching a round but cant really find anything.

I would also try resetting the PRAM.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Conundrum | APPLE MACBOOK SUPERDRIVE, what fits in what? »