Which Mini Display port to use with new monitor?
    I'm looking at a new 27" monitor to use with my MBP right now. I have narrowed my choices down to three different ones. I have ensured that each one has a DVI in on it, this way I can use a Mini Display to DVI adapter. Each monitor also has an HDMI port on it. I notice that some companies also make a Mini Display to HDMI adapter. Would I be better off using the HDMI or the DVI. My roommate uses HDMI out of his graphics card into the HDMI input on his monitor, but he is on a Windows PC with a graphics card that has HDMI out. I have heard some people say using DVI is best with Apples, but I did not see anything backing this claim. Hopefully somebody here can help me out.

Thank you

Specs:
    Mac's
    HDMI is better.. it carries the video better, and carries Audio

Quote Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
    HDMI is better.. it carries the video better, and carries Audio
    Awesome, so is it safe to assume the person that said "only use mini display to DVI with Apples" doesn't know what he's talking about?

If that's the case I'll make sure to buy a mini display to HDMI with my new monitor. They're also throwing in a free HDMI cable which is awesome.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I am one of those of the persuasion that typically recommends DVI over HDMI when you have the option with Macs.

The primary reason has to do with saving folks from the need of dealing with the issue of overscan. You can read about it in this thread - post 2, item 2. If you are purchasing a computer monitor and not a TV, this may be a moot point.

If you have the current version MBP that supports audio over it's mini displayport (mdp) and you want the audio on the monitor's speakers, then I would suggest the HDMI.

If you have the previous gen MBP that does not support audio over it's mdp and/or you plan on running the audio to a separate receiver, then I'd recommend DVI.

Edit: I'd take the free HDMI cable in any case. And, if you can check the owner's manual online to see if the menu has the option to turn off overscan - I would also prefer the HDMI.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I am one of those of the persuasion that typically recommends DVI over HDMI when you have the option with Macs.

The primary reason has to do with saving folks from the need of dealing with the issue of overscan. You can read about it in this thread - post 2, item 2. If you are purchasing a computer monitor and not a TV, this may be a moot point.

If you have the current version MBP that supports audio over it's mini displayport (mdp) and you want the audio on the monitor's speakers, then I would suggest the HDMI.

If you have the previous gen MBP that does not support audio over it's mdp and/or you plan on running the audio to a separate receiver, then I'd recommend DVI.
    Very interesting post. I am buying a dedicated computer monitor. I have narrowed it down to the ASUS VE276Q and the Asus VK278Q. The difference being the VK is LED and the VE is LCD. Anyway, I'm not sure if my Mini Display port supports audio. I have the first run of unibody MBP, the unibody with the removable battery. I believe only the newest ones support audio, I'm not sure though.

This is odd, it keeps telling me my posts need approval. Maybe it was the quote/hyperlink. Sorry for the double post!

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Sorry, the spammers love our forum and we've recently had to institute a couple of things that can be a pain for our new members on occasion. But, the moderation with links and the captcha end after a few posts.

You're correct, your MBP does not support audio via mdp. I am not familiar with Asus monitors at all and would have to read through the owner's manual to make best recommendation. I'd be tempted to try the displayport though, only because I've never used one.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Sorry, the spammers love our forum and we've recently had to institute a couple of things that can be a pain for our new members on occasion. But, the moderation with links and the captcha end after a few posts.

You're correct, your MBP does not support audio via mdp. I am not familiar with Asus monitors at all and would have to read through the owner's manual to make best recommendation. I'd be tempted to try the displayport though, only because I've never used one.
    I use the Mini Display port to VGA with my crappy old 19" television now. The TV has HDMI on it, but no DVI, and my local store only had the Mini Display to VGA or DVI in stock, so I chose the VGA. I hate the television monitor and it's time for me to upgrade to something better. I'm constantly doing work in Final Cut, Photoshop, Lightroom, PowerPoint, ETC. Having a very large second monitor would make my life much easier. It would also reduce on the number of occasions where I want to turn my laptop into a frisbee... I hope.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    I have always used DVI on my old MacBook Pro.

However, people I know who have the new MacBook Pro bought a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter (not Apple) that transfers both audio and video. It's great!

Thread Information