New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Frustration sets in with RAM search... HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

ok, so ive been looking for awhile for some ram. awhile back i ordered a PC2700 512MB on ebay. when arriving, i put it in my 1GHz iBook, and fit great, however... didnt work. i start looking at the forum and see people with the same problem/model as i have. they are saying, "go get a PC2100." easy enough. today i went to the store and bought a PC2100 DDR266. came home all excited that ill be bumping up my system, put it on, fits great, put my iBook back together, click on the apple to check out "About my mac" and wammm.... still running at 256. i took it back apart, tried putting it back in thinking maybe i missed a click or something, and same thing happened.

wtf is going on? some people have told me to order online, cause its cheaper. a 1gig stick is much cheaper online, but a 512 is the same online/in stores, so if i can just get one, and bring it home, that would be wonderful. anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you get to fix the problem? HELP.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well you need to check a number of specifications to make sure it is compatible with your iBook:
Quote:
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR PC2100
Configuration: 128Meg x 64
DIMM Type: UNBUFFERED
Error Checking: NON-ECC
Speed: 266
SDRAM Timings: CL=2.5
Specs: DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR266 2.5V 128Meg x 64
(that is from crucial.com - they guarantee it'll work with your iBook)
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT368655

It could of course also be an issue with the RAM slot on your iBook...
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
It could of course also be an issue with the RAM slot on your iBook...
Aptmunich may be right on. It ALSO could be that you think you put the RAM securely in the slot but you didn't. I know you said you did already but try it a third time and see if you can't get it running. The first time I put my gig in it didn't work because I didn't secure it in the slot. I had to open it up again and re-set it in the slot and then it worked fine, luckily on try #2. Mine is PC2700 btw, so that's not your problem. Pins are one of the most important specs on the RAM so check that, because you didn't mention what that spec was in your post.

Second of all I would never buy my RAM off of ebay. I only buy mine off of sites that guarantee it is compatible and have excellent return/exchange policies. That way you aren't screwed and left with sticks of RAM you can't use.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursuciofla
I only buy mine off of sites that guarantee it is compatible and have excellent return/exchange policies. That way you aren't screwed and left with sticks of RAM you can't use.
I agree. I only order my memory from sites that have tested the RAM and guarantee it to be 100% compatible. The prices are usually extremely competitive, and I can be sure that when it arrives, I'm not going to have any issues with it.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Definately need to make sure you seated it properly. I did the same thing the first time I upgraded my Ibook. Checked the ram again and sure enough, it was not seated completly. It makes a pretty good click when it seats in properly.

ed724
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet working, suddenly stopped | In need of an opinion ASAP, my iBook is acting weird! »