New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Charger problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Magicpickle

Magicpickle is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I have a 2 year old MacBook Pro and it's worked fine for me for 99% of that time.
However, 2 months ago the light on the charger didn't come on when I powered up one morning and it didn't charge. No matter what I did it didn't work, so I brought a new one (not an official Apple one as money is tight at the moment) and this worked fine for 24hrs and then the same thing happened!
I rang apple and they said it may be my Mac, and to take it in to a Mac store. I live and work nowhere near a mac store so am asking you ladies and gents what you think. Is it worth the trek or simply buy an official one?

Thanks

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Why spend another $80 possibly for naught if it's a problem with the Mac. Don't know how long a trek you're talking about, but if it was me, I'd take it to the apple store.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
joedh

joedh is on a distinguished road

The new chargers do not work perfectly with the 2 yr old Macs. Every time my charger comes disconnected it will no longer charge. I have to drop the battery to get it back. Just rebooting does not work. I have to remove battery and as soon as a I do the green lights comes on. Snap in the battery and amber light comes on. All is good until the cable disconnects again. It is a bit of a pain but at least it charges. I repaired my old cable where the ground wire has broken off and it works fine, I can disconnect and reconnect instantly the power macbook without battery removal. I think Apple should offer a compatible charger for its older lines. Especially those less than 2 yrs old.

Hope this helps
Joe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacing a Macbook Pro screen with one from a Macbook? | How much is my MacBook worth? »