New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

SSD Mystery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

merkat106

merkat106 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MA092LL/A (stepdad's mac) & 80gb ipod classic & 1gb ipod nano 1st gen

I have this year-old OCZ solid-state drive as the primary drive for a MacBook Pro after the original died.

The SSD had been working fine until recently when the MacBook quit seeing it. On boot up, a flashing folder with a question mark would appear. Upon trying to reinstall Leopard, the drive would not show up at all.

So, I took the MacBook to MicroCenter. They diagnosed the SSD as being dead & told me to contact OCZ. They took out the drive for me.

Not satisfied with that news, I decided to hook up the SSD to a drive enclosure and connect it to my laptop running Windows 7.

Well, turns out that the SSD is not dead. The Windows laptop can see it and with the help of TransMac software, can open and view the contents of the drive.

Now I am not sure what to do. The drive works, but I don't trust that the MacBook Pro will see it & boot it if I reinstall the drive.

Could something else be the problem with the Mac?

I am a PC person & a noob with Mac...

---------------------------------------------
A displaced Texan living in Colorado
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't know why your MBP failed to see the SSD but just for your info.. Mac OS X does not implement TRIM for SSD hardware as does Windows 7. So you might consider installing an ordinary drive in that MBP until some time in the future when OS X does support TRIM. If you're adept at installing and removing the drive from your MBP, go ahead and put it back in to see what happens. But be prepared to replace it.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Sounds like something corrupt with the OS making it not bootable. TRIM might account for slow writes if all the blocks were "spoken for". Win7 simply reading from the non-booted device wouldn't have anything to do with whether garbage collection (TRIM) was performed. TRIM is an ongoing and progressive maintenance process which occurs over time, not a "codec" (so to speak) which allows the drive to suddenly become readable if the OS has TRIM.
You might try a couple of things...
Try booting from the installation DVD and use Disk Utility to find out whether the system actually sees any disk present. If the disk is physically there, but Disk Utility doesn't show it as being physically in the laptop, the disk is dead.
If Disk Utility shows it is there, try running the Verify Disk function and see if it identifies or fixes any issues. If it does, the run the Repair function and then try rebooting.
If that doesn't help and you have another disk which will fit into the laptop, try installing OS X on to that and then using migration assistant to move your data back. You can then decide whether you want to move your "fresh" install back on to the SSD via SuperDuper or the like.
Once it's moved back to the SSD, you will have for all intent and purpose and TRIM'ed disk and also a fresh install and repaired (new) OS.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pork Belly Commercial In Background | Can't install new software: brings up disk utility »