New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question regarding calibrating MBP battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LandonAB

LandonAB is on a distinguished road

I am about to calibrate my MBP battery for the first time and want to know, during step:

3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer on and start using it with battery power. When the battery's charge gets low, you’ll see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

Can the MBP go to sleep during this period or must I keep it 'awake' and active for the entire 8 hours? If the latter is indeed the case I am guessing the only way to do this would be to turn off the on battery Energy Savings and let the laptop run it's self out of juice.

Thanks for any clarification!
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

I'm very new to the world of Mac -just a little over 24hrs in fact! I've executed the calibration on my battery twice in that time, and seen the capacity increase from 6769mAh from new to 6998mAh now, as I type this response. The original battery capacity is 6900mAh.

Now to more directly answer your question: during those cycles I did allow the MBP to sleep, on more than one occasion. It certainly doesn't seem to have impacted the battery's performance!

Here's a screen-grab (Now that I've figured out how to do it!) from Coconut Battery:

Disregard the "Age of your Mac: 3 weeks" bit -this machine only arrived here yesterday!
QUOTE Thanks
LandonAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post
I'm very new to the world of Mac -just a little over 24hrs in fact! I've executed the calibration on my battery twice in that time, and seen the capacity increase from 6769mAh from new to 6998mAh now, as I type this response. The original battery capacity is 6900mAh.
How in 24 hours did you manage to go through the entire process twice? I am still unsure though about my original question. I am going to attempt Saturday to do the entire cycle without allowing the laptop to sleep when it drains. Will see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sleep - no sleep - has no bearing.

The issue is to let it go on battery until it turns off by itself.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
LandonAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Sleep - no sleep - has no bearing.

The issue is to let it go on battery until it turns off by itself.
Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if an interrupted discharge would skew the calibration or not and the Apple documentation isn't clear.

15" 2010 MacBook Pro - 5th Gen Ipod Video
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonAB View Post
How in 24 hours did you manage to go through the entire process twice?
Quite gracefully & with ease, thank you!

But seriously... it arrived all-but fully charged, so the 1st charge-cycle was less than an hour, then the 2-hr conditioning period on the charger. 1st discharge cycle took probably only 4-5 hours (down to the reserve power warning) and it was back to a full charge early evening. Subsequent use on battery took us into the wee hours of the morning, then after a snooze, I got about an hour this morning before she crashed on a completely discharged battery. That would be 2 complete cycles.

Certainly IMO the results speak for themselves -especially when it doesn't take a long search here to find threads from new users that have lost 30% of their original battery capacity within a week or 2 of buying their machines!
QUOTE Thanks
LandonAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post
Quite gracefully & with ease, thank you!
Ha! Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the response!

15" 2010 MacBook Pro - 5th Gen Ipod Video
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hot temperatures when Gaming on macbook pro 15in | New Macbook Pro 13" having trouble loading web pages after apple one on one session »