New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

The rubber thingie on the bottom is peeling off my MacBook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

The rubber thing on the bottom of my MacBook has stretched somehow (not sure how that happened) and now it is peeling off. My boyfriend suggested Rubber Cement to readhere it, but that did not work AT ALL. I even tried Super Glue, but even the Super Glue is not sticking and the rubbing thing keeps continuing to peel. The peel is spreading wider and wider each day.

Yes, I'm guilty of not having the Apple Care Protection Plan, and don't want to spend the ridiculous amount of money that I know I will be charged to have it repaired at an Apple store.

Are there any simple solutions that can readhere this rubber thing to the bottom before it completely comes off? Any ideas are welcomed. I am desperate at this point!

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Well if you don't really care about having a rubber bottom then you can get a thin case for your MacBook to prevent it from ripping further. That's probably the cheapest solution. There are many cases that are two pieces so you can just use the bottom half of the case only if you want.

The other solution might be trying to see if you can buy the rubber bottom part and install a new one yourself so that you don't have to pay Apple to do it. Although if you have not gotten a quote from Apple then you don't know how much it is going to cost.

I'm sure it's a special adhesive that Apple uses to glue the rubber bottom to the MacBook but if Super Glue doesn't work then you might not have better luck with other retail glues. You could also try going to a hardware store to see what they recommend for rubber to plastic gluing but getting a case would be the easiest and cheapest solution.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

I never even thought about a case. Thanks for that suggestion.

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

No problem. I'm glad I could help.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Apple Launches MacBook Bottom Case Replacement Program
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Kane: How in the world did you ever remember that post? You have a great memory. I would hate to ever get on your bad side....
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Kane: How in the world did you ever remember that post? You have a great memory. I would hate to ever get on your bad side....
Don't worry Charlie, you could never get on my bad side, unless you woke me up from a deep sleep if it wasn't an emergency
QUOTE Thanks
kdyarb2002

kdyarb2002 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MB Pro 2010 13 inch

even if you dot have the problem can you get the free bottom?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I remembered it from the story the Mac-Forums News Bot posted.

Way to go News Bot!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cals400ex

cals400ex is on a distinguished road

I have this problem with my macbook as well. I am not sure how to go about getting a new one though. I wish they would do something like this for the macbooks cracking by the hinge...
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cals400ex View Post
I have this problem with my macbook as well. I am not sure how to go about getting a new one though. I wish they would do something like this for the macbooks cracking by the hinge...
This is how... right below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cals400ex

cals400ex is on a distinguished road

I went ahead and ordered a new back. They actually overnighted the part to me! I am seeing some conflicting information though. I am not sure if you HAVE to ship back the old back or not. The directions on the inside say you need to. However, the directions on the back of the shipping label say you will be charged $0.00 if you do not ship the old part in. Here is a copy of both just so you can see for yourself.....I am not sure that I would order a new part if yours is not broken because I am not sure if you will be charged. BTW, the warranty on the new part is 90 days or until your warranty/apple care runs out, whichever is longer.

I don't think you will be charged by the looks of it, but I really don't know.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0250.jpg (61.8 KB, 15 views)
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

It's what we used to call a Z-part - a consumable part of sorts. If you return it, perhaps the engineers will look it over. If not, there doesn't appear to be any penalty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« automated keystroke entries... | Battery no charging »