Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Upgrading logic board
    I wan't to upgrade the logic board on my powerbook 12 1.5, assuming this will increase speed and power, primarily the video card which is the main thing i bump heads with. could i at least upgrade to the 1.67 with 2gb ram? or even a macbook/pro ? what about ddr2/ddr3? thanks

  2. #2

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    That's plugging serious money into upgrading an aging Mac.

    Sounds harsh, but it is really not worth the money and effort.

    You are better off banking the cash and looking around the secondhand market for a bargain Intel portable. As great as Macs are - they really were not designed for the sort of upgrades you are looking at
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    That's plugging serious money into upgrading an aging Mac.

    Sounds harsh, but it is really not worth the money and effort.

    You are better off banking the cash and looking around the secondhand market for a bargain Intel portable. As great as Macs are - they really were not designed for the sort of upgrades you are looking at
    you can't at least upgrade the logic board to the 1.67 from the 15 inch powerbooks? i've heard there might be success from the 13.3 macbooks? i just need to upgrade the video card really! thanks

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,809
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyxinfinity View Post
    you can't at least upgrade the logic board to the 1.67 from the 15 inch powerbooks? i've heard there might be success from the 13.3 macbooks? i just need to upgrade the video card really! thanks
    What exactly do you mean by upgrade? Just about everything on a Powerbooks logic board is soldered on...so there is no way to replace or upgrade anything (processor or video hardware).

    Don't even start talking about Powerbooks & Macbooks in the same sentance...they are two completely different "animals".

    The bottom line is you cannot do any upgrading other than ram & hard drive. If you want something better/faster...you have to purchase a newer laptop.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by upgrade? Just about everything on a Powerbooks logic board is soldered on...so there is no way to replace or upgrade anything (processor or video hardware).

    Don't even start talking about Powerbooks & Macbooks in the same sentance...they are two completely different "animals".

    The bottom line is you cannot do any upgrading other than ram & hard drive. If you want something better/faster...you have to purchase a newer laptop.

    - Nick
    as in upgrade the performance, improve the specs, the speed. basically streaming video/youtube and multitasking can get pretty choppy sometimes and id like to fix this! but i love the machine with a passion and do not want to replace it! its getting to the point where i wouldnt mind spending hundreds of dollars...even...one thousand ! it'd be amazing to have macbook pro specs inside this machine. so that's a no on the 1.67 pb logic board, or any g4 lb?

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,809
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyxinfinity View Post
    it'd be amazing to have macbook pro specs inside this machine. so that's a no on the 1.67 pb logic board, or any g4 lb?
    Yes...that is a BIG "no" to the upgrading. To the best of my knowledge Apple hasn't made a laptop since about 1999 where you could upgrade the cpu or video (there were a couple laptop models that were upgradeable before 1999).

    You have a very nice 12" 1.5ghz iBook there...but if you want specs as impressive as a Macbook Pro...you're going to have to purchase a Macbook Pro.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    The You Tube issues are mostly caused by Flash sucking CPU cycles. The latest version of Flash for the Power PC 10.1 is a lot better on older systems.

    What Nick said is true. You really can't do anything on your 12" PB except RAM and the hard drive. No other board will fit. Everything is soldered to the Logic board.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    The You Tube issues are mostly caused by Flash sucking CPU cycles. The latest version of Flash for the Power PC 10.1 is a lot better on older systems.

    What Nick said is true. You really can't do anything on your 12" PB except RAM and the hard drive. No other board will fit. Everything is soldered to the Logic board.
    thanks Nick! well i understand I can't upgrade the powerbook, but why not replace it with some sort of logic board that already has a better processor ram and graphics card? ...a custom made one? what

    wait what is that about there being a better flash for older macs? i thought macs cant use flash?

  9. #9

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) do not use flash. OSX has always used flash.

  10. #10

    MacDude121's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Camino should help your choppy video playback. It does wonders for older Machines + flash.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. upgrading a1181 logic board
    By manfred in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 10:03 AM
  2. Upgrading the Logic Board in my Current 2007 MBP?
    By tears2040 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 10:27 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 02:48 AM
  4. Upgrading a logic board
    By Chad333 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 07:09 PM
  5. Upgrading Logic Board/Motherboard
    By kenit in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •