New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New MBP - Will the keyboard scratch the screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gern Blanston

Gern Blanston is on a distinguished road

I got a new MBP last night, and I was wondering if I need to worry about the keyboard scuffing the screen when the lid is closed. I've had two HP laptops that have shown signs of this, and I don't want it happening to this new gorgeous screen. I'm keeping the insert that was included in the packaging in place for the moment, but I hope that it's not necessary.

Should I have keep some sort of protection between the screen and keys when closed?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Unless you press down on the top case in such a way where the screen will make contact with the keyboard, you should not experience any damage. I notice that lots of students place their MBP in a backpack - sometimes those backpacks are loaded with books and what not. Squeezing a MBP in there can cause pressure on the top case which can in turn cause damage to the screen if it makes contact with the keyboard. Just be careful because that kind of damage is not covered under the Apple warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Chscag pretty much answered it. If you don't put any weight on it when transporting or you don't place objects on top of it when closed then it shouldn't be a problem. You should keep the insert protector for the times when you do transport in a backpack or something similar.

The unibody MBPs have a rubber gasket around the whole edge of the screen which seems to help keep a better buffer space than in the past. My old PowerBook definitely has screen scratches because it only had two small rubber inserts at the corners and they weren't that thick either so any slight weight would press the screen onto the keyboard. It's the same problem I had with Windows laptops.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

[QUOTE] The unibody MBPs have a rubber gasket around the whole edge of the screen which seems to help keep a better buffer space than in the past. My old PowerBook definitely has screen scratches because it only had two small rubber inserts at the corners and they weren't that thick either so any slight weight would press the screen onto the keyboard. It's the same problem I had with Windows laptops.[QUOTE]

Yeah these guys pretty much answered it, although I have noticed that my School-supplied Macbook's screen seems to come a lot closer to the keyboard than My ibook's. Luckily the school supplies a case that prevents any of the kids from scratching their screens to death.
QUOTE Thanks
Gern Blanston

Gern Blanston is on a distinguished road

That's good to know: thank you all. I didn't have to put any pressure on one of my HP laptops for it to have keyboard smudges the next time that I opened it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lord Alveric

Lord Alveric is on a distinguished road

Just something interesting that happened to me last night: I was eating potato chips whilst working on my MBP, and a 1-mm crumb landed on the wrist rest area. I didn't noticed and I closed the lappy when I turned in. This morn, when I opened it I noticed an itty-bitty dark spot on the screen which left a smudge when I swiped off with my finger. Knowing that my fingers weren't particularly greasy at the time, I wondered. I took a hanky and cleaned the smudge, and then I noticed the potato crumb in the afore mentioned area.

Moral of the story: just keep your machine always as clean as possible (especially the keyboard area), as sometimes it's debris the cause of screen scratches more than it's the keys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading logic board | Gutting A Clamshell »