New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hot temperatures when Gaming on macbook pro 15in

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oryol

oryol is on a distinguished road

So i would like to buy civilization 5 to run on my windows side in boot camp. Whenever i do play the demo it gets extremely hot and a program reading of the cpu and gpu temp seems to reach around 70-75 celsius. What your guys' thoughts on the matter? Could i be doing damage to my machine playing games on my macbook pro while the temps are so high? maybe its normal, i dunno. please let me know with any advice. I appreciate it, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My now 4 yr old MBP has gone through a great many 4-8 hour sessions of running at 85-90C playing WoW and others.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Jack06

Jack06 is on a distinguished road

Ive heard it's normal, but I still don't feel comfortable leaving it to run so hot for so long. I was using 'SMC fan control' and ramping it up to maximum (6500rpm) when i was doing movie editing or something intensive. Now I just use 'Fan Control' and have set the minimum for both bars, I am considering getting a cooler to keep it on with fans that I could turn on if necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

If your worried about the temps you can use this program to control the fans on your windows side

Download Input Remapper 1.0.04 Free - The current version detects a MacBook Pro keyboard under Windows XP and lets the user configure some options. - Softpedia
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Some good info ....

The Official "My MacBook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do I do?" Guide.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Your MBP is going to get hot playing games. Games are intensive applications so it's going to make your computer work harder. If it's uncomfortable to you then you can get a cooling pad. If you don't hear your fans going then you should be concerned at that point. TattooedMac's thread is a good read so I won't repeat it here.

I think many people underestimate how hot computers can get when they are used intensively. Since we are physically close to laptops we notice the heat more often because I hardly ever hear people concerned about their desktops even though they can run just as hot or even hotter.

A person's physical discomfort is usually the biggest concern.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeppers, it didn't take me long to know I needed a laptop stand if I was going to be gaming for any length of time with is sitting in my lap. Other than semi-permanent red marks on your legs and possibly blocking the flow of air if you're not careful (which I am), then there have been no ill effects that I can see. My 4 yr old machine with upgrade to a 7200rpm drive and Snow Leopard runs faster now than the day I brought it home.

I believe in using and abusing my electronics the way I want to and let's see if they can take it. The MBP has withstood the test. This is the first computer I've owned that has been my primary machine for longer than 12-18 months. And my first computer was in '81.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
josephfazioli

josephfazioli will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.

I highly recommend a cooling pad- there are versions that are good for both lap and desk, and have 2 fans. This reduced the temp on my 13 inch when editing photos and video enough to make me not freak out. Mine is from targus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Choosing a Macbook Pro | Question regarding calibrating MBP battery »