New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How to instal Mac OSX remotely

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tavo

tavo is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I just bought a new HardDrive(SATA) for my MacBook, only to discover that my SuperDrive is not working properlly. is there any way i can install OSX on my new HardDrive(SATA) without having to buy a new SuperDrive?
Thx for the help.
TAVO
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

If you have another Mac nearby you can make a disc image of your OSX install disk and then restore the image onto an external hard disk using Disk Utility. Make sure the external drive is formatted with the GUID partition table and with HFS+ Journaled.

Then put the drive into your Macbook and hold down Option and choose the external drive to boot from. Or you can use a program like SuperDuper which is free to clone your current OSx install onto the new drive, put the new drive into your Macbook and you sill be able to start up just like you left off.
QUOTE Thanks
tavo

can u do that with a flash drive or do i need an external hardrive to puit the disk image on?
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Yea you can use a flash drive as long as its big enough to store the entire OS image restore on there. I think you'd need a stick with at least 8GB
QUOTE Thanks
tavo

Thx's
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible to replace a key from 2008 MBP keyboard ? | Good Affordable Mac »