New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

connect macbook pro to cable box

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brazilianhippie

brazilianhippie is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am completely new to mac, and am trying to figure out how to hook up my macbook pro 13 inch to my cable box and if its at all possible.

So I know I have to get the minidisplay to hdmi accessory.

Now my question is the following, my tv is analog, but i have a hd cable box that converts the signal. Its from time warner.

It has an hdmi plug in the back (and it connects to my tv with the audio/video cables).

I would like to know if I get a hdmi cable,
1. Can I view the images from my computer on my tv?
2. Can I view the images from my tv on the computer?

Thanks

brazilianhippie
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You do not want to connect the MBP to the cable box, you want to connect it to the TV directly..

The cablebox will output HDMI to the TV, and wouldn't allow you to use it as a pass-through..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
brazilianhippie

brazilianhippie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your response.

How would be the best way to connect it then so that I could both see the cable tv images on my computer, and see my computer on the tv?

The tv has either those 3 audio/video cables, or a svideo cord
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The only way I can think of you watching cable TV on your MBP would be to go through a separate box that would take the cable feed and then bring it into the MBP through the USB port..so see your computer on the TV, you'd just use the minidisplayport to HDMI converter and use the TV as a second monitor to your MBP..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro won't sync my iPhone | Powerbook G4 boot issues? »