New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

i5 or i7?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

josephmccutchen

josephmccutchen is on a distinguished road

I'll be buying a MacBook Pro 15" at the end of October. However, I'm not sure whether to get the i5 or the i7. What I'm planning on doing is using it for iMovie, Final Cut Express, etc; nothing too intensive. I would personally like to get the i5, as it is about $400 cheaper (I'm in South Korea, if that helps any), than the i7. If I buy the i5, and upgrade it to 8GB of RAM, will it be good enough? Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The i5 will do the job, but with the i7 you are getting the 500GB HD and the 330M with 512 MB over the i5 which has the 330M with 256 MB.
Always better to buy the best processor and graphics options you can afford, and upgrade the RAM at a later date (if you find that you need to).
The RAM and HDs are user upgradeable, and it won't void your warranty if you do it, and is cheaper than getting it with Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
Epic800

Epic800 is on a distinguished road

If money isn't an issue then go for the i7 definitely.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

If you got the cash for the i7, do that.

The i7 MBP is a beast! I love mine!
Now I wish my 27in iMac had an i7... ):

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Any recent computer can do what you are asking but the question is how fast do you want those tasks done? Yes the i7 is faster but is that extra speed worth $400 to you? You might want to search the internet for speed benchmarks between the two processors and see if the extra speed of the i7 is worth it.

Also adding RAM doesn't make your computer run faster it only keeps it from slowing down due to not having enough RAM. You won't know if you don't have enough RAM until you use your computer for the tasks you have mentioned but as said by others you can always upgrade your RAM later.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Get the i7, it will keep you from having buyers remorse (if you can take an extra $400 hit that is).

My 15" i7 MBP is on the FedEx truck and will be here in less than 2 hours (if the FedEx guy isn't running behind).
QUOTE Thanks
josephmccutchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Any recent computer can do what you are asking but the question is how fast do you want those tasks done? Yes the i7 is faster but is that extra speed worth $400 to you? You might want to search the internet for speed benchmarks between the two processors and see if the extra speed of the i7 is worth it.

Also adding RAM doesn't make your computer run faster it only keeps it from slowing down due to not having enough RAM. You won't know if you don't have enough RAM until you use your computer for the tasks you have mentioned but as said by others you can always upgrade your RAM later.
Well, I've looked at the benchmarks, and for me, $400 extra for 10-20% better performance isn't worth it. And yes, I do understand about the RAM not making the computer run faster; here in South Korea, it's fairly inexpensive ($190 for 8GB), so I thought I would get it anyway to be on the safe side.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

OWC ~ MacSales 8GB | PC3-8500 (True PC3-8500) | DDR3 | 1066MHz | SO-DIMM Upgrade Kit $175.99

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Blu3

Blu3 is on a distinguished road

Some on the apple forums have reported problems with NuRam cards.

Try this one instead:

8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3... (OWC8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
Some on the apple forums have reported problems with NuRam cards.

Try this one instead:

8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3... (OWC8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC
I don't know what your sources are, but I couldn't find anything about it!

Regardless, with OWC:
NewerTech NuRAM Brand Memory (modules, flash)

* Return for refund within: 30 days
* Return for replacement within: Lifetime (to original purchaser with original receipt)
* Restocking Fee: No
QUOTE Thanks
josephmccutchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
I don't know what your sources are, but I couldn't find anything about it!

Regardless, with OWC:
NewerTech NuRAM Brand Memory (modules, flash)

* Return for refund within: 30 days
* Return for replacement within: Lifetime (to original purchaser with original receipt)
* Restocking Fee: No
Regarding the RAM, I'm in South Korea. Do you know if the Samsung PC3-8500 RAM is good, or should I wait until January when I am Stateside and buy it from OWC? Thanks for your help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I'm not a fan of Samsung, or Toshiba products, but that is just a personal preference, and others may feel otherwise.
That being said, I would get it from OWC or Crucial, but as stated earlier, I would be waiting to see if you need more RAM once you get your new machine.
QUOTE Thanks
josephmccutchen

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Samsung, or Toshiba products, but that is just a personal preference, and others may feel otherwise.
That being said, I would get it from OWC or Crucial, but as stated earlier, I would be waiting to see if you need more RAM once you get your new machine.
Thanks 6string for what you've said about the RAM; I will use the computer for a bit first and see if I need the extra RAM. However, can I get a final word between the i5 and i7? As I stated earlier, it's hard for me to justify paying $400 for a 10-20% increase in processor speed. What are your thoughts on that?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

It really depends on what you're doing as to where you will see the performance gain.
The better graphics is also part of the extra $.
Future proofing is another factor once again.
You can always upgrade the RAM and HD, where as you can't upgrade the processor or graphics chips.
For me, if money weren't an issue, also being that here in Oz it's a $600 price difference between the 2.4GHz i5 and the 2.66GHz i7, I certainly would have gone for the i7, even if I didn't need all the power that it packs.
YouTube - 15 " 2.4 GHz Core i5 vs 2.66 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro Boot Up Showdown!
YouTube - 2.4 GHz Core i5 or Core i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro? i5 vs i7 Benchmarks & Which one you should get!
QUOTE Thanks
josephmccutchen

Quote:
It really depends on what you're doing as to where you will see the performance gain.
The better graphics is also part of the extra $.
Future proofing is another factor once again.
You can always upgrade the RAM and HD, where as you can't upgrade the processor or graphics chips.
For me, if money weren't an issue, also being that here in Oz it's a $600 price difference between the 2.4GHz i5 and the 2.66GHz i7, I certainly would have gone for the i7, even if I didn't need all the power that it packs.
YouTube - 15 " 2.4 GHz Core i5 vs 2.66 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro Boot Up Showdown!
YouTube - 2.4 GHz Core i5 or Core i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro? i5 vs i7 Benchmarks & Which one you should get!
Yes I totally agree about future proofing; do you think that the i7 will still be a good computer, in let's say two years, or will it be obsolete? I have seen some sites that talk about a new Intel processor, but I'm not sure when that will come to notebooks. If the i7 will be a good computer for awhile, I would lean towards it. As far as what I would use it for, here is what I mainly use:

1. Internet
2. iLife
3. Final Cut Express (will buy soon)
4. VMware Fusion (maybe will do away with that at the end of the year, as I would like to get away from Microsoft altogether)

How much will the extra speed help me with these programs?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« quality | Macbook (black) 13'' - "Replace Battery Now" »