Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i5 or i7?

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    How much will the extra speed help me with these programs?
    More so in Final Cut.... but will still see a little tweak in everything.
    As far as future proofing, even the C2Ds aren't obsolete yet, so I think there are many yrs left on the i-series processors.
    Future proofing as far as highest speed and latest processor doesn't only count for personal longevity, but it also factors in resale value.
    The i-series processors are still relatively new the the market, so it will be quite some time, until something supersedes them, especially when factoring in affordability and compatibility.
    Just look at SSDs as an example. They are priced out of the range for your everyday consumer, especially if you want a reasonable size.
    Obviously the choice is yours, but if you can afford to avoid the potential for buyers remorse in anyway whatsoever, that is the road I would go down.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    How much will the extra speed help me with these programs?
    More so in Final Cut.... but will still see a little tweak in everything.
    As far as future proofing, even the C2Ds aren't obsolete yet, so I think there are many yrs left on the i-series processors.
    Future proofing as far as highest speed and latest processor doesn't only count for personal longevity, but it also factors in resale value.
    The i-series processors are still relatively new the the market, so it will be quite some time, until something supersedes them, especially when factoring in affordability and compatibility.
    Just look at SSDs as an example. They are priced out of the range for your everyday consumer, especially if you want a reasonable size.
    Obviously the choice is yours, but if you can afford to avoid the potential for buyers remorse in anyway whatsoever, that is the road I would go down.
    Exactly what I am thinking: buyers remorse. I believe you have convinced me regarding the i7. Thanks so much for your help!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    It's a pleasure, and just remember, it's not about me convincing you, the computer's not for me, and I don't work for Apple.... It's a major expense, and if you can afford to go top end, it is always worth it.
    I look at it like cars. Better to get the top of the range of a certain model, then the bottom of the range of the next model up. Would hate to be in the bottom of the range, and have the top of the range pull up next to me at the traffic lights, yet alone be trying to sell the bottom of the range when it comes time to upgrade

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    It's a pleasure, and just remember, it's not about me convincing you, the computer's not for me, and I don't work for Apple.... It's a major expense, and if you can afford to go top end, it is always worth it.
    I look at it like cars. Better to get the top of the range of a certain model, then the bottom of the range of the next model up. Would hate to be in the bottom of the range, and have the top of the range pull up next to me at the traffic lights, yet alone be trying to sell the bottom of the range when it comes time to upgrade
    I agree about the convincing; I've weighed what a lot of people have said about the i5 and i7, but what you said was the icing on the cake. It is a major expense, but I am sure that it will pay for itself.

Thread Information