Could My WD MyBooks have hurt my MacBook?
    Almost 2 months ago I got a 2TB WD MyBook External Hard Drive and put all my files from my 1TB WD MyBook (that I've had for about a year) on to the 2TB. It worked the first time I had them both plugged into my MacBook but after that I would only take one at a time or I would have to restart my computer so it could take both. And now my computer can only have one USB anything in at a time unless I restart it. (that works for a while as long as I don't change the things I'm plugging in). Both the ports work, just not at the same time.

Also since then I've had to shut my computer down more than ever because it freezes. Before that I'd never had shut it down while I was still using it (see my other question) And it's running slower than ever too. Did I break it by putting 2 in at a time?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Sounds like a combination of things. First, the freezing could be due to your internal hard drive. It may be failing or have errors. It might be a good idea to run a verify and repair on the internal hard drive. You'll need to boot the machine with your install DVD in order to that.

The problem with USB sounds like the WD is drawing too much power from the port so that you're unable to use two ports at a time. You might need a dual USB plug for the WD or an external power supply.

Sounds like a combination of things. First, the freezing could be due to your internal hard drive. It may be failing or have errors. It might be a good idea to run a verify and repair on the internal hard drive. You'll need to boot the machine with your install DVD in order to that.
    Install DVD? Is that the same as the Apple Care CD, ebcause I don't have any other disc.

The problem with USB sounds like the WD is drawing too much power from the port so that you're unable to use two ports at a time. You might need a dual USB plug for the WD or an external power supply.
    It didn't do this before I could have the WD and a regular USB stick in at the same time. The WD needs to be plugged into the power to even show up on my Mac so it shouldn't be sapping my computers power that much.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Yes, you need your install recovery DVD in order to run Disk Utility from it. You can't run Disk Utility and repair the drive (if it needs it) while the drive is active and mounted.

As far as the WD is concerned, if it has its own power and you're still having problems with the USB port, it could be a hardware problem. The install DVD is also used to run the Apple Hardware Test. You might want to give that a go and see what it says.

Thread Information