New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro 13" vs MacBook Pro 15"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Winfrizz

Winfrizz is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I know there's probably A LOT of threads about the comparisons about these two but,

I really wanna know which ones I should get for my needs.

I want a MBP that is able to run a game called League of Legends and Minecraft WELL without it lagging. Do you guys know about these games and if the 13" can run it well?

I will also want to get into editing here and there. eg Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas every now and then.

So, pretty much just want a MBP that can run League of Legends and Minecraft well as well with no lag and be able to edit videos and things easily.

Thanks.

P.S What's a better name, Winfrizz or Winfriz?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfrizz View Post
Hey,

I know there's probably A LOT of threads about the comparisons about these two but,

I really wanna know which ones I should get for my needs.

I want a MBP that is able to run a game called League of Legends and Minecraft WELL without it lagging. Do you guys know about these games and if the 13" can run it well?

I will also want to get into editing here and there. eg Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas every now and then.

So, pretty much just want a MBP that can run League of Legends and Minecraft well as well with no lag and be able to edit videos and things easily.

Thanks.

P.S What's a better name, Winfrizz or Winfriz?

If you are not concerned about the increase in cost… definitely get the 15" MBP, with the i5 & i7 chips (vs Core2Duo in the 13"), and the 330m graphics processors (vs the 320m's on the 13").

You could go "all the way" on the 15" and get the i7, with 512MB on the 330m.. (I get mine next week)… But it's a big.. really big jump in price from the base 13" model.

It really depends on how much cash you are willing to part with.

PS.. Have you considered winfrizzz.. OR… even better.. Winfrizzzz !!!!

lol!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Winfrizz

I don't really wanna pay the amount you need to for the 15" but if its' going to be THAT much better I will, but as I said, I'd rather not if it's not that big of a difference. Screen size I don't mind as 2 inches isn't too much.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

It's a different discussion but it boils down to more than just the 2" diagonally, it's vertical and horizontal… and really it's the pixel gain I'd be more concerned with.

Back on topic.. What are the system requirements for the games you are wanting to play?
QUOTE Thanks
kckyle

kckyle is on a distinguished road

oh man you have no idea how much more screen real-estate you get with the 15 inch, i just upgraded from a 13inch late 08 model(the first 13inch aluminum model that still say's macbook instead of macbook pro) to a 2010 i5 2.4ghz. now it is much easier to use Imovie and Final Cut Pro. and since mine is a refurbished(could've fooled me for a brand spanking new one if it wasn't the packaging) i only paid 1600 after tax.
QUOTE Thanks
thanxal

thanxal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4

Granted my 13 inch is the older "Aluminum Macbook" Before they stuck the "Pro" on the end, but it has the upgraded 2.4ghz C2D with 4gb mem and 320gb HD. I just got the 15inch MBP with the i7 and 4gb mem and 500gb HD with the hi-res antigalre. A few points.

The 15 inch is much bigger and little heavier. It took me a while to get used to the larger base.

The hi res antiglare screen is TDF!!! The increase in screen space is amazing, so much so that I actually can open two Pages documents side by side at 125% zoom and still fit them on the desktop. Well worth the extra. And I am quickly coming down on the side of antiglare.

The i7 with 330 is uber-unbelievably fast. UBER fast. It blows away the 3.06ghz C2D on my 24" iMac. I run computer-busting mapping software that hogs just about all the system resources you can throw at it. The i7 on the MBP outperforms the C2D 3.06 on the iMac easily. I render raw satellite images and process them into visible imagery inside Parallels running Windows Se7en (I really wish they'd compile these mapping programs for Mac like they used to!!!). We're talking about 10gb files once the process is all done. The i7 has been so delightful I've actually moved everything to it for processing. I set aside some extra cash for the upgrade to 8gb RAM and will order it from Other World Monday.

If you need computing muscle, or think you will in the future, get the i7. If you kinda don't and maybe don't have the money, the 13" C2D will do a pretty good job. Better than any of the PC crap in the big boxes!

Switchers are the most religious of Mac fans.
QUOTE Thanks
Winfrizz

Okay, the system requirements are:

League of Legends Knowledgebase :: System Requirements

But the thing is, that the requirements are for PC as they're during MAC Testing now and it should be out within a couple of weeks.

Minecraft will run easily on any Mac I know that.

For me, MacBook Pro 15" is $1000 more, sooo, :/
QUOTE Thanks
Winfrizz

bumppp
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

a 2" larger screen makes the world of difference to me. If you ARE worried about performance, than you really shouldn't be comparing the 15" with i5 or i7 to a 13" with a regular c2d processor. There is a difference. The cheapest 15" should only cost you a couple of hundred more, while being considerably better. Don't make a decision you will regret!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What computer are you using currently with the games you want and how does it handle them "in your opinion"?

What are the specs of that machine compared to the specs of the new machines you're looking at?

Imho: Anyone whose primary concern has to do with playing any game and concerned with playability and framerates should be custom building their own Win7 gaming box and shouldn't be looking at a Mac for this duty. What about the next game you want to play and you're stuck with a video card that won't handle it on any notebook or all-in-one machine from any manufacturer? Purchasing such a machine is a big mistake.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
What computer are you using currently with the games you want and how does it handle them "in your opinion"?

What are the specs of that machine compared to the specs of the new machines you're looking at?

Imho: Anyone whose primary concern has to do with playing any game and concerned with playability and framerates should be custom building their own Win7 gaming box and shouldn't be looking at a Mac for this duty. What about the next game you want to play and you're stuck with a video card that won't handle it on any notebook or all-in-one machine from any manufacturer? Purchasing such a machine is a big mistake.
I agree!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Quote:

Agreed 100%.

Winfrizzzzzzzz if you're main goal and purpose of a new computer is for gaming.. Your money will be waaaaay better spent on a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

torbjoern will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)

Quote:

+1. Couldn't agree more. Nobody with sense buys a highly priced, non-upgradeable computer for the purpose of gaming. In a couple of years, even the i7 processor will be outdated and the same goes for 330m graphics board.

Better lose a bar on the iPhone 4 than losing an iPhone 4 in the bar.
QUOTE Thanks
Epic800

Epic800 is on a distinguished road

Well I would get the 13'' first to see if that is what you need. You can always return and upgrade is needed.
QUOTE Thanks
Winfrizz

Honestly, I'm looking for something mobile, but if it'll be THAT bad then I'll happily get a PC.

I actually needed something good at editing because I wanted to get into editing videos etc, Sony Vegas, Adobe CS4. But if a PC can do that then okay.

Games wasn't a big deal as I only wanted to play League of Legends as I am a console gamer but I'm not going on till Black Ops comes out. I just wanted one that could run it smoothly unlike my current PC

1GB RAM,
Pentium 4 CPU
2.80hz

and its REALLY slow, it takes so long to load and when I finish a game it takes 10minutes for the client to pop up so I can play another.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Book Pro won't turn on | Spilled Whiskey ALL OVER my Mac! »