New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP getting hot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gallix23

Gallix23 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I have a MBP 15" that I mainly use for school stuff, however I also play Starcraft 2 on it (the only game I have installed) and when I do, it gets very very hot. I have a HeatShift cooling pad, but it still feels very hot to the touch in the left hand corner in the area above the esc - f3 keys. THis got me thinking, should I install SMC fan control and manually set it to high when I play games, or would that be a bad idea? How bad is it for the computer to be that hot? Do you guys think the cooling pad is enough, or would doubling up with SMC be a good idea?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Searching the forums first would answer all of those questions.
It is fine. Don't worry. Don't install SMC.
Please remember to Search before posting. Thank you.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You are going to wear out your fans if you do that for long periods of time. Just let the computer do its own thing. It knows what to do and how to preserve itself it does get too hot.

Playing games, rendering, and encoding, are all CPU intensive activities and thus generate a lot of heat.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Gallix23

Gallix23 is on a distinguished road

I searched this and multiple forums on this topic and kept getting clashing answers; some say a worn out fan is better than frying your computer, and some say Fan control isn't needed, so I figured I'd post to clarify. Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
FiosFiend

FiosFiend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo

I also have the 15" MBP and I play World of Warcraft. It can get pretty toasty in a raid situation or any place where there are graphically intensive situations or lots of players in the same frame. Don't worry about it, the Mac can handle it.

Macbook Pro 15" anti glare 2.8Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Here's the thing that many new macbook aluminum owners don't really know, because chances are, their last computers were made out of solid aluminum. The aluminum absorbs the heat more because it is aluminum, and made out of one piece, from the point where the motherboard attaches, to the part where your palms touch. It is all one piece. So, it's not that your macbook is getting too hot, its more like you are more able to understand what the internal temperature is of your computer due to aluminum being a good heat absorber...that's why you see a lot of aluminum and copper heat sinks. The reason why you don't feel heat in other laptops is because they are mostly all made out of a steel cage that is wrapped in plastic, which does not absorb heat at all, making it feel like it's really running cool, but in fact is deceiving you.

In regards to the SMCfanControl, your computer has very specific, and LOTS of set point at which the fan speed increases with heat. If your fans are not speeding up a lot, but you think it's warm, you don't trust your computer enough. While it is true that its simpler/cheaper to wear out a fan than to let your computer cause heat damage on to itself, it will handle it! It is nice to see your fan's rpms though...

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
WickedFabala

WickedFabala is on a distinguished road

Hi
I had kinda the same problem when I tried to load 1 too many youtube videos. It wold get really hot and the fan would get really loud, but I bought this iLap and the metal stand really does help keep it cooler. (I have an old white MacBook btw)

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adium plays Growl sound alerts. | MacBook won't turn on after I close it »