Unhappy Screen Replacement Questions
    Hello fellow Mac users! So, basically, my Macbook 13.3" has a screen, but sadly, that screen is pretty much smashed While we all know that Mac wants exorbitant amounts of money to fix it, I refuse to have anything to do with that sort of nonsense! I would love to go in and fix it myself, I need a replacement screen to do it obviously, and I want to make sure I won't be ripped off. If I could go to spell and buy a replacement directly from them (even of more expensive) I would, just so I could be assured of quality and compatibility, as far as I know, though, they don't do that....does anyone know anything different? Does apple sell replacement screens for you to repair yourself? And if I can't find that I will most likely be looking online somewhere, does anyone know of anyone with reasonable prices that won't rio me off and will sell me a screen for a good price that is perfectly compatible with my A1181 and is new???

Thanks so much!!!

Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    If you really want to do it yourself, iFixit is a great place to start.

Find the teardown manual for your mac here,
    Mac - iFixit

And maybe they have a replacement screen here,
    Mac Parts - iFixit
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Question What about this?
    I check ifixit, but their repair method seemed a lot more difficult than all of the other eons I have found which all go like this

Laptop LCD Removal Instructions: Apple Macbook, 13.3"

That seems more liken what I should be doing, just replacing the screen, nothing else, like what it looks like on ifixit.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by raychill View Post
    I check ifixit, but their repair method seemed a lot more difficult than all of the other eons I have found which all go like this

Laptop LCD Removal Instructions: Apple Macbook, 13.3"

That seems more liken what I should be doing, just replacing the screen, nothing else, like what it looks like on ifixit.
    Too much information is MUCH better than too little info. Laptop display's are not easy parts to replace. iFixit repair instructions are very reliable!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Quote Originally Posted by raychill View Post

Believe me, once you have it apart and start putting it back together only to find you forgot a step/screw somewhere, you'll be mighty glad for iFixits many steps.
    What I like about iFixit also is that they tell you when you have to do a particularly tricky step and you have to be extra careful not to break some irreplaceable parts.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
    What I like about iFixit also is that they tell you when you have to do a particularly tricky step and you have to be extra careful not to break some irreplaceable parts.
    VERY good point "McYukon"!

I like that detail as well about iFixit's procedures!!! There are way too many delicate plastic parts that can be easily broken...or small parts that can be lost.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Question Still Unsure
    Well, on ifixit, it is not only adding extra steps, it completely removes the keyboard and gets into the tricky area, on all other sites, it's telling me I just have to open up the screen and unconnect and reconnect a few things once the new screen is in. I'm very confused, lol

EDIT::
    On ifixit, it seems like they are replacing the entire whole upper display thingy, I ONLY want to do the screen, not the entire top!!!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    First, make sure you're looking at the correct instructions for replacing the display on your model machine and not another. I've read replies from folks who used shortcut methods (from another site other than ifixit) to replace a display, to say that it didn't work, or, they destroyed something in the process.

You can use whichever method you choose to change out the display. Just be careful doing it so as not to cause further problems.

Thread Information