New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I got some problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Josesito62

Josesito62 is on a distinguished road

Ok so first off hello everybody.
problem 1
My macbook pro is super slow when starting up. today it took 4 mins to get to the desktop. This happens every start up not just cold starts. I have cleared all cache folders, ran clamxav (all clean), ran repair disk permissions, and nothing helped so far. When I have the activity monitor on it is fine until i open any kind of app than it spikes. Last night i ran the short hardware test and all checked out ok. I do only have 60g left on my hard drive, is that it?
Here are my specs
Intel core 2 duo 2.53
4g ram
250g hard drive
Mac os x 10.6.4 Snow Leopard
My second problem is with my DVD rom drive. It keeps spiting out what ever disk i put in. Is this guy toast?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Download and run a good maintenance program. I recommend OnyX. (free) You have enough hard drive space so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also check to see what programs you have that are starting when the machine boots. Check your login items and also the startup folder located under MacIntosh HD/Library/StartupItems
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Thanks for the reply.
So the start up folder is empty. not sure if that good or bad.
I downloaded onyx and it says
"Volume needs to be repaired"
To repair your startup-disk, start up from your Mac OS X Install disc, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility...
To bad I dont have the install disk with me. I will have to try it tonight, that is of course if my DVD drive lets me. Do you think this would be the root of my problem? It sounds like it makes sense.
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I dont know if it helps but this is what I got from repair disk permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
perseguidor

perseguidor is on a distinguished road

Similiar problem, have had my MBP for 12.5 months now and have Snow Leopard installed.
Over the past couple of days it has been sluggish all of a sudden with 10 minute start up times and I get the 'beach ball' every time I try to do anything and have to wait up to a few minutes before it is responsive again.
I tried clearing caches - didnt help
I tried repairing disk permissions - didn't help
I tried 'repair disk' through Disk Utility - didn't help
I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install of Snow Leopard - didn't help
I copied my old files etc through time machine - back how it was when I started.

Also when it goes into hibernation when battery gets very low, it simply doesn't come out of it and stays frozen on the grey restoration screen!

This suggests to me that it MAY be a hardware issue considering it stayed the same even when I wiped the hard drive.
Is there any diagnostics I can run to determine this before I pay someone a lot of money to do the same and overcharge me to repair it 12 days out of warranty.

Thanking you in anticipation!
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Did You try the apple hardware test? All you need is the applications disc that came with your macbook. Pop that guy in and restart while holding the "d" key than you will be sent to the hardware test screen. Try that out and come back with the results.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
To repair your startup-disk, start up from your Mac OS X Install disc, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility...
To bad I dont have the install disk with me. I will have to try it tonight, that is of course if my DVD drive lets me. Do you think this would be the root of my problem? It sounds like it makes sense.
Could be. Sounds like OnyX identified some problems with the hard drive. A problematic hard drive can sure slow you down....

Make sure you keep up with backups. Use Time Machine or whatever backup strategy you have. And let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Ok so I was able to get to my install disc and repaired the disc. While I was there I also did the disc permissions one more time for sh*ts & giggles. Everything repaired just fine. So I rebooted the cpu and my start up time went down a bit, I think it it went down to about 2 1/2 min. I still feel like it is a bit long plus the cpu doesnt get up and running to full speed for about 10 min or so. Now I am stuck again.
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Welp now I am back up to 4min, lame. Also When I ran boot camp (win 7) I got the same start up times, seems to be system wide.
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Ok so I have a new development. I was looking at the activity monitor and with no apps open process "mdworker" is taking up 8-18% cpu. Also when I open a app (not sure if it is normal) it takes up 50% cpu and up. Any suggestions? cuz my machine just got a lot slower; not just on start up.
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

I have been looking at replacement hard drives just in case. I took a look at this one
500GB Seagate Momentus XT 2.5" 7200RPM /... (ST95005620AS) at OWC
and this one
500GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200.4 7200RPM... (ST9500420AS) at OWC
is that hybrid drive even worth it? or is it just for show?
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Now I am getting like a 10 min start up. This kind of happened all of a sudden, any advice would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

So reading through the forum I found the smart utility. I ran it and is says I have 21 pending bad sectors and 17 reallocated bad sectors. Overall SMART status is failing. I am assuming my hard drive is toast. Am I correct in my assumption?
QUOTE Thanks
Blu3

Blu3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josesito62 View Post
So reading through the forum I found the smart utility. I ran it and is says I have 21 pending bad sectors and 17 reallocated bad sectors. Overall SMART status is failing. I am assuming my hard drive is toast. Am I correct in my assumption?
If you are I recommend the 7k500 from Hitachi.
QUOTE Thanks
Josesito62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
If you are I recommend the 7k500 from Hitachi.
Do you mean this guy
500GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 7200RPM SA... (0A72335) at OWC
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which MagSafe for 13" MacBook Pro? | Normal Operating Temps and Fan Speeds? »