New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading the processor on my macbook pro core 2 duo 2.16?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigideaguy

bigideaguy is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I am a college student currently working on my degree in computer science but haven't gotten that far yet

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade my processor on my mac, I have taken computer maintenance so I know how to take it apart and not fry anything. But I am unsure as to what the macbook would support?

Currently I have it at 4gb of ram already and I am getting my way through school as a designer and running my own company(home based) and I would like to keep the money that I do earn for other things than a new macbook. I run adobe AI, PS, DW, and at times other applications at the same time and it can be a bit sluggish.

Any tips on what processors I could get? I5 or I7 would be nice if it's possible
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

No you can't.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
bigideaguy

hmm, oh well too bad, I guess I will look for a new macbook...

and just because I am curious, why would it not be possible?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigideaguy View Post
hmm, oh well too bad, I guess I will look for a new macbook...

and just because I am curious, why would it not be possible?
Cause the CPU is solder to logic board.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
bigideaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Cause the CPU is solder to logic board.
And if i unsolder it?

Sorry, i don't mean to be rude but i still don't see why I can't.

Thanks for your help thus far.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigideaguy View Post
And if i unsolder it?

Sorry, i don't mean to be rude but i still don't see why I can't.

Thanks for your help thus far.
Good luck with that. You can try it, post back with result.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
bigideaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Good luck with that. You can try it, post back with result.
Thanks, but I don't want to risk it, no one has even told me what other processors are compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is impossible without special machines. There are many hundreds of pins and a machine solders them. No socket in the MBP. If you could get it out without ruining the multi layered board, you would be my new hero!
QUOTE Thanks
bigideaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That is impossible without special machines. There are many hundreds of pins and a machine solders them. No socket in the MBP. If you could get it out without ruining the multi layered board, you would be my new hero!
oh wow, nevermind then lol

I might just open up my macbook to look, but i think I will leave the soldering to the machines...... for now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro: Serious Hardware Issue | Powerbook g4 12 case »