Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Upgrading the processor on my macbook pro core 2 duo 2.16? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/214698-upgrading-processor-my-macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2-16-a.html)

bigideaguy 09-16-2010 12:19 AM

Upgrading the processor on my macbook pro core 2 duo 2.16?
 
Hey guys I am a college student currently working on my degree in computer science but haven't gotten that far yet :)

I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade my processor on my mac, I have taken computer maintenance so I know how to take it apart and not fry anything. But I am unsure as to what the macbook would support?

Currently I have it at 4gb of ram already and I am getting my way through school as a designer and running my own company(home based) and I would like to keep the money that I do earn for other things than a new macbook. I run adobe AI, PS, DW, and at times other applications at the same time and it can be a bit sluggish.

Any tips on what processors I could get? I5 or I7 would be nice :) if it's possible

CrimsonRequiem 09-16-2010 12:42 AM

No you can't.

bigideaguy 09-16-2010 01:25 AM

hmm, oh well too bad, I guess I will look for a new macbook...

and just because I am curious, why would it not be possible?

CrimsonRequiem 09-16-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigideaguy (Post 1112605)
hmm, oh well too bad, I guess I will look for a new macbook...

and just because I am curious, why would it not be possible?

Cause the CPU is solder to logic board.

bigideaguy 09-16-2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem (Post 1112615)
Cause the CPU is solder to logic board.

And if i unsolder it? :)


Sorry, i don't mean to be rude but i still don't see why I can't.

Thanks for your help thus far.

CrimsonRequiem 09-16-2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigideaguy (Post 1112628)
And if i unsolder it? :)


Sorry, i don't mean to be rude but i still don't see why I can't.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Good luck with that. You can try it, post back with result.

bigideaguy 09-16-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem (Post 1112632)
Good luck with that. You can try it, post back with result.

Thanks, but I don't want to risk it, no one has even told me what other processors are compatible.

dtravis7 09-16-2010 03:17 AM

That is impossible without special machines. There are many hundreds of pins and a machine solders them. No socket in the MBP. If you could get it out without ruining the multi layered board, you would be my new hero! :D

bigideaguy 09-16-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1112640)
That is impossible without special machines. There are many hundreds of pins and a machine solders them. No socket in the MBP. If you could get it out without ruining the multi layered board, you would be my new hero! :D

oh wow, nevermind then lol

I might just open up my macbook to look, but i think I will leave the soldering to the machines...... for now :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.