New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP+ Monitor help !

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OllieEvill

OllieEvill is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, i just bought a 21.5" SyncMaster P2270 Samsung monitor and when i hook it up to my 15" MBP via, HDMI Cable with a minidisplayport adaptor, the resolution is appalling.

The monitor support 1080p but some how i just can't figure out how to get a decent resolution on my monitor like my mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*edit using a 2010 2.6 ghz MBP
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Don't use the HDMI input. Use the DVI input on the SyncMaster and set it up for its native resolution. Should be OK then. That's how I have my SyncMaster setup and the display looks great.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Have not used HDMI either...

Agree with chscag use DVI

Have the SyncMaster 2494HM hooked up to an older MacBook Pro via DVI and looks great. at 1920X1080

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since you haven't told us anything about what you've tried, I can only suggset you open up System Preferences - Displays and make sure you have selected the proper resolution for the monitor.

I agree with the above advice though. My recommendation is also to use DVI when available for connecting any computer to a monitor instead of HDMI. Once the displayport makes it's way onto monitors in general, that may change.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
OllieEvill

Firstly thank you very much for the replies.

I've tried everything and for some reason i can get the resolution to 1920x 1080 on the display settings... maybe the HDMI adaptor doesn't support it?

So do you guys recommend using a minidisplayport to DVI adaptor for my monitor?

ps: why is HDMI so bad?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
So do you guys recommend using a minidisplayport to DVI adaptor for my monitor?
Yes, as advised.
QUOTE Thanks
OllieEvill

Hey guys i borrowed a mates HDMI- DVI cable and the resolution is definitely better however even though i set it to 1920x1080 it does fit the whole screen on the monitor? any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Can only assume you meant it does not fit the whole screen. Check the following thread, post # 2, item # 2.

Connecting your Mac to your TV

QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I've heard that using HDMI instead of DVI is only good for gaming and movies, not reading text as it will be too small.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Not an answer to this thread, but more so a good read:
DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better? - eCoustics.com
QUOTE Thanks
OllieEvill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Can only assume you meant it does not fit the whole screen. Check the following thread, post # 2, item # 2.

Connecting your Mac to your TV
I did say in the previous post that it does not fit the whole screen.

Anyway cheers for all your help especially Bobtomay.... your thread u linked is extremely impressive and you are definitely a huge asset to these forums.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Hope that helped ya out.

(You might re-read your previous post. You left out the "not" part. )

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My MacBook Pro won't connect to my wireless printer? | ANOTHER kernel panic error problem?!? »