New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Disk Error, then FOLDER WITH QUESTION MARK ISSUE.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rohit.dhamija

rohit.dhamija is on a distinguished road

NOTE: I have read previous post of "FOLDER WITH QUESTION MARK " and i couldnot get resolution. Also have read apple website but couldnot get issue resolved.

I own a Macbook, working on it from past 3 years, having following specification
---------------------
Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
HDD: 80GB
OS loaded: 2, Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and Microsoft Windows XP SP2
----------------------

A day before, I was working on my Macbook on Windows. It just hanged at at a moment, i hardbooted it. After that i switched on the machine,
it displayed nothing for some time, and after that it displayed console with message

"Disk Error"
Please press any key to restart.

I tried following options

1. alt key press: It didnot show any disk
2. c. To boot from CD rom, but it didnot boot from there. It AUTOMATICALLY EJECTED THE CD
3. Cmd-opt-p-r, to wash PRAM, but also didnot help
4. cmd-opt-shift-delete, to force boot from CD ROM, but it didnot work. It AUTOMATICALLY EJECTED THE CD

So finally, I went to istore in our area. He told that ur disk crashed. So we replaced it with brand new Mac OS X formatted disk.
BUT Still the issue remains there !!! Now when i boot the system , it remains gray, after some time it displays "FOLDER WITH QUESTION MARK ("?")" icon.

I have tried all the options i tried before, but the issue remains there. IN ALL THE CASES TRIED IT SHOWS FOLDER WITH QUESTION MARK.

WHAT CAN BE THE ISSUE ? Has any SCSI controller damaged? OR it is issue with firmware/software?

Please provide your comments.

Thanks,
Rohit
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

When you got it back from the iStore did they test it to make sure it booted before you went home? Did it work for you while you were there?... if you paid them .. I would take it back like right now.

Do you have any other mac's at your disposal for testing purposes?

BTW MacBooks have SATA controlers not SCSI...

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Domain Login Error. | Overheating Macbook Pro »